ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha cl 3 hiss  (Read 3761 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Yamaha cl 3 hiss
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 12:53:25 pm »

Thanks to all for the answers. The oscillator is off and it is not routed to any channel or output. I am sorry for not being specific. Hiss is present on all input channels except the fx returns.  Hiss increases as you turn up the gain from initial -6 and when you get to +19 it stops. At that point the input signal is pretty hot.  I haven`t worked with this console for 3 months but I do not recall if this was the case before.

How loud is actual audio compared to the hiss? Is your listening gain too high? Is the hiss noticeable over actual audio?

Mac

Frederik Rosenkjśr

Re: Yamaha cl 3 hiss
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 04:21:05 pm »

Thanks to all for the answers. The oscillator is off and it is not routed to any channel or output. I am sorry for not being specific. Hiss is present on all input channels except the fx returns.  Hiss increases as you turn up the gain from initial -6 and when you get to +19 it stops. At that point the input signal is pretty hot.  I haven`t worked with this console for 3 months but I do not recall if this was the case before.

When you say the hiss stops at +19 dB gain it sounds like it's the normal preamp noise - though, I think you mean +18dB gain - that's when the built-in pad disengages. I always try to stay above +18dB if possible. If that level of noise is a problem, I would question your gain structure (assuming the console is behaving like it should). It must certainly be very different from my habits which, for comparison, is typically +30dB for a Beta58 on vocals, and for the most part I can keep it at +18dB for all close mics on a kit (for the most part).
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.