ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting started with stage power - all powercon  (Read 17871 times)

Mark Amber

Re: Getting started with stage power - all powercon
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 05:32:59 AM »

I'm debating TRUE1 vs blue/grey now. The major draw of normal powercon being I don't need 20 adapters. Everything else about true1 is superior. Especially the more traditional two gender design which makes extending easy
I still think I will go with blue/grey due to availability of gear.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »

When I had my distro made up by the AmpShop (ProStage&Studio) it was pointed out to me that the PowerCon wasn't UL listed as it could be used for multiple voltages unlike the NEMA spec which has different connectors at each voltage, amperage and number of phases.  And therefore they couldn't put a UL cert on the distro.  I've never had an AHJ have an issue with them but there's a small chance.
I do love them though.  Small and reliable.

There are bazillions (somewhere between a million and a quintillion) devices that use the ubiquitous IEC C13 connector (think computer power cord) at different voltages and are UL listed.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »

There are bazillions (somewhere between a million and a quintillion) devices that use the ubiquitous IEC C13 connector (think computer power cord) at different voltages and are UL listed.
Those are power inlets, and the devices typically have universal power supplies and are shipped with the appropriate plug for their market.

I think as mentioned, the issue is having an outlet (on the distro) that could have multiple voltages on it.  In cases like the PowerCon to PowerCon going to my amp rack, that is basically okay.  Although internally my amp rack does have 5-20R receptacles in it so if I fed it 220, someone could get in there and plug in a 115 regular appliance.  And the other circuits on the distro typically go to stringers or the FOH feed that is conventional Edisons.  Although I don't play in the field where people would have other distros with 220 on PowerCons, there's no safety mechanism to prevent a mixup.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 02:44:37 AM »

I'm debating TRUE1 vs blue/grey now. The major draw of normal powercon being I don't need 20 adapters. Everything else about true1 is superior. Especially the more traditional two gender design which makes extending easy
I still think I will go with blue/grey due to availability of gear.
Huh? I don't understand. Why are you not going with True1?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mark Amber

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »

Huh? I don't understand. Why are you not going with True1?
Adapters. I feel like the main draw for blue/grey is that it works with everything. But I'm still conflicted. True 1 truly seems like the best way to do it. Even writing this I have lots of doubt.

Agh screw since i cant decide I'm going with a fully mickey mouse solution. Mickey mouse connectors for everything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »

True1 looks excellent.... but no end devices have it! For example, I have wedges with original Powercon. If you were building a truely infrastructure-only system true1 would be great, but if you are trying to integrate into any existing gear and systems true1 just isn't out there.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »

True1 looks excellent.... but no end devices have it! For example, I have wedges with original Powercon. If you were building a truely infrastructure-only system true1 would be great, but if you are trying to integrate into any existing gear and systems true1 just isn't out there.

Perhaps in audio, but True1 shows up all the time in new LED video panels and I suspect it's only a matter of time before the 'big dog' moving lights use them (since lighting and video are becoming integraded design).

Most legacy products use the original blue Powercons, though.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »

Perhaps in audio, but True1 shows up all the time in new LED video panels and I suspect it's only a matter of time before the 'big dog' moving lights use them (since lighting and video are becoming integraded design).

Most legacy products use the original blue Powercons, though.

I'm glad to hear that, True1 looks just excellent. I should have been more accurate in my statement. Very few, if any, products at the 'poor mans distro' level have adopted True1, while lights and powered speakers with original Powercon abound. True1 could still make a good 'PMD' if it were used for infrastructure only, but it could be annoying with a bunch of blue/white gear already in hand. I am in that situation.

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 08:59:42 PM »

I use Powercon largely because it is multi-voltage. 

^This. We have started deploying powerCon distribution for our lighting rigs using the Chauvet Powerstream boxes as they are easily mounted to trusses or placed on deck and can handle multiple voltages (we mostly run 208v). One of our lighting guys created double-sided velcro labels for them to designate if that particular box is carrying 120 or 208. Works great for us.

Our video wall uses the True1 stuff and let me tell you, the hype is worth it. I'd love to switch our audio power setup to the True1 connector as we currently use bulky L5-20 on our quads and cabling.
Kristian Stevenson

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 01:40:32 AM »

^This. We have started deploying powerCon distribution for our lighting rigs using the Chauvet Powerstream boxes as they are easily mounted to trusses or placed on deck and can handle multiple voltages (we mostly run 208v). One of our lighting guys created double-sided velcro labels for them to designate if that particular box is carrying 120 or 208. Works great for us.

Our video wall uses the True1 stuff and let me tell you, the hype is worth it. I'd love to switch our audio power setup to the True1 connector as we currently use bulky L5-20 on our quads and cabling.

Seems like a simple voltmeter with a male Powercon attached would be useful for verifying the voltage before plugging something in that's voltage-sensitive.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 01:40:32 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 24 queries.