ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves plugin FDBK shop test  (Read 4502 times)

Stan Shields

Waves plugin FDBK shop test
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:14:48 PM »

So...I bought the new Waves plugin Feedback filter. Historically not been a big fan of "automatic" filters like this but I was intrigued by the idea of running multiples of these in Waves MultiRack in the insert points of the aux busses in my Soundcraft Expression. For the sale price of $99, having a bunch of these was compelling.
So far, only done a couple of tests in the shop.
Running a Macbook pro with OS10.11.2, I set up a rack with six of these, one instance in each rack, no other plugins. Routed them to/from 1-6 aux buss insert points in the Soundcraft.
Several surprises so far, the mute function works sometimes, other times it attenuates the signal but still passes audio. The plugins randomly don't work, I see signal but engaging the filter engine does nothing. When it does decide to turn on, I can get 2-3 filters to trigger, then more gain produces feedback but no further filters will trigger.
Anybody else tried this plugin yet?

Ted Christensen

Re: Waves plugin FDBK shop test
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

So...I bought the new Waves plugin Feedback filter. Historically not been a big fan of "automatic" filters like this but I was intrigued by the idea of running multiples of these in Waves MultiRack in the insert points of the aux busses in my Soundcraft Expression. For the sale price of $99, having a bunch of these was compelling.
Running a Macbook pro with OS10.11.2, I set up a rack with six of these, one instance in each rack, no other plugins. Routed them to/from 1-6 aux buss insert points in the Soundcraft.
Several surprises so far, the mute function works sometimes, other times it attenuates the signal but still passes audio. The plugins randomly don't work, I see signal but engaging the filter engine does nothing. When it does decide to turn on, I can get 2-3 filters to trigger, then more gain produces feedback but no further filters will trigger.

A touring band brought it in recently. It's an OK plug-in but you can't set the threshold so you really got to spite the frequencies for it to work. The idea of its cool and it does work even after it was all said and done they were still not using the plug-in to ring out.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:35:34 AM »

I bought it when it was on sale.

Firstly, I tried ringing out a set of wedges with it to see how it performed. Not so good. it left everything very muddy and frankly I can do better without it. It works quite well for static microphones but where it struggles is with edge refraction at the edges of the horn. IT applies too many notches over a short space of wavelengths, whereas a slightly broader filter would be better at this point.

As has been mentioned before, it requires significant feedback level for it to be able to grab on to a frequency and cannot separate out ghost tones from a source signal.

In short, it is no substitute for a skilled monitor engineer.

I also was not convinced with the latency it introduced. I was using a Soundcraft Si Performer with the USB / Firewire card, using USB into an i5 Win10 laptop (running a clean boot with only Waves Multirack installed and all other nonsense disabled.

Routing through tis added a noticeable delay (to my ears) to the stage monitors. I am guessing it was only a couple of milliseconds but enough to notice something that I don't expect to hear when the wedge is right at my feet. This issue may well be much improved if you use a dedicated Soundgrid server- but that is more money than I want to spend right now.

Where it can be useful is when you have numerous differing guest mics turning up on a stage (without time to individually tune each one) and want a safety net. Just reset it each time the new mic leaves the stage.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »

Thanks for the reviews as I was considering checking it out. I was also looking at this Behringer unit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uomDSt3HaPA

My monitor guy is a little slow with feedback so I thought it might help. He's getting better though.

Anyone ever tried this unit?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.