ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Event sound levels, compliance with LAeq,8h  (Read 3297 times)

Lyle Williams

Event sound levels, compliance with LAeq,8h
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:33:08 AM »

If I need to comply with a LAeq,8h limit of 85dB, but the event is only 60 minutes long, does that mean that the measured LAeq can be up to 94dB?  (The extra 9dB coming from three halvings of the 8h period.)

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
Re: Event sound levels, compliance with LAeq,8h
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »

If I need to comply with a LAeq,8h limit of 85dB, but the event is only 60 minutes long, does that mean that the measured LAeq can be up to 94dB?  (The extra 9dB coming from three halvings of the 8h period.)

I assume this limit is for workplace safety? Where I live, 85 dBA LAeq, 8h is the maximum permitted daily exposure in workplaces. So if I were running this event in my jurisdiction I would need to take into account any exposure to hazardous SPL that workers present at the event will experience during the rest of the workday and lower levels accordingly.

If you can assume no other hazardous exposure (and don't forget about any rehearsal or sound checks) then 94 dB would be your upper limit, yes.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »

Thanks.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »

You have to remember that the type of event can make a big difference in the total levels over time.

For example and EDM show that basically never stops or changes levels will give one reading.

A live show that has breaks between songs or different type of songs will give a different reading over time.

For example if it is a Church type event-there would be a bit of prayer time, which would "usually" not add to the SPL/time and some slow and fast songs.  The fast/louder songs could be louder-since they are surrounded by quieter time.

So once again-IT DEPENDS
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.