« on: December 09, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »

--
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:51:24 PM by soundguy96 »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: "Age-ism" In Live Sound
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »

Hi all,

I'm 19 years old, have been working in audio for almost five years now, mostly in the medium sized regional event market. One of the companies I freelance for uses a service called WhenIWork to schedule their labor. I've set my phone up to notify me when a new call notification email comes in, and I often write back within a few minutes if I can take the job. When I write back to take the call, I'm told by (anonymous boss) to hold off on taking the call while he checks to see if I can handle the gig. After three days or so, (anonymous boss) will write back and say that they have found someone else to take the gig. To me, that seems like he's actively searching for someone else to take the call so I can't work it. This has happened a few times now, and only with this company- the other three view me as just another freelancer. Wondering if any of you have had similar experiences when you were first starting out and if anyone could give advice on how to handle this?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Can you handle the gig?  I work with a pool of people that have varying skillsets, both technical and otherwise, and I assign work appropriately.  Can you have a dialog with this person and find out what it is about you that makes him think you're not the best choice?

soundguy96

--
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »

--
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:51:38 PM by soundguy96 »

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »

Hi TJ, Thanks for your quick reply. I like to think that I know my limitations, and I don't want to take a gig and then be unable to do the job. In these particular scenarios, I think that I'm more than capable of doing the job- the most recent example of this was a high school's winter jazz band concert. I guess my problem with this is that he isn't being upfront about whether or not he finds the job to be a suitable match with my skill set. I'd rather be told upfront that he has concerns about X, Y and Z and would rather have someone else take the gig rather than be strung along for three days waiting to get a yes or no. I've tried to have a conversation with (anonymous individual) about this before, and he's very good at changing the topic when it comes up. Given my relative inexperience in dealing with employers, I'm not sure how to assert that I'm genuinely interested in working for their company and am serious about the work I do for them without leaving the wrong impression or compromising our working relationship in the future. 

Robert

What do they know about you? do they have your resume and details but are ignoring it or still unsure?
Or do they just know that you've registered on that site and are interested in the gig?

Do you know who you're losing these opportunities to? Maybe they have people with way more experience than you who are willing to work for the same rate. I wouldn't expect them to take the first person to respond unless they know for sure that the person is dependable etc, and you have no track record with them.

Either way it doesn't hurt to keep at it. some day they'll eventually be stuck and you'll get your shot.

Jason

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 04:34:04 PM »

Hi all,

I'm 19 years old, have been working in audio for almost five years now, mostly in the medium sized regional event market.
Since you were 14 YO?
One of the companies I freelance for uses a service called WhenIWork to schedule their labor. I've set my phone up to notify me when a new call notification email comes in, and I often write back within a few minutes if I can take the job. When I write back to take the call, I'm told by (anonymous boss) to hold off on taking the call while he checks to see if I can handle the gig. After three days or so, (anonymous boss) will write back and say that they have found someone else to take the gig. To me, that seems like he's actively searching for someone else to take the call so I can't work it. This has happened a few times now, and only with this company- the other three view me as just another freelancer. Wondering if any of you have had similar experiences when you were first starting out and if anyone could give advice on how to handle this?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Maybe he doesn't know you and prefers to hire experienced workers that he knows.

It sounds like you need to cultivate a relationship with the people hiring.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »

Sounds like he may be looking for someone with more experience, or for someone with a specific level of experience on a specific piece of equipment.  Have you ever asked why you were not chosen?

soundguy96

--
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »

-
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:51:55 PM by soundguy96 »

soundguy96

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 05:01:30 PM »

-
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:34:15 PM by soundguy96 »

soundguy96

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »

Sounds like he may be looking for someone with more experience, or for someone with a specific level of experience on a specific piece of equipment.  Have you ever asked why you were not chosen?

Hey Bob,

I actually haven't, as I'm not quite sure how to bring up the subject with him. Having said that, I completely understand that he may be looking for certain qualifications for a particular gig, but I wish he would be forthcoming about that rather than stringing me a long for three days before saying he found someone else for it.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »

Hi all,

I'm 19 years old, have been working in audio for almost five years now

Hey Robert, have you made any contacts in the last 5 years who might be able to introduce you to the people doing the hiring?

I've not yet worked in any industry that had anything to do with what you know - it's all who you know. (read this twice, 3 times if you have to. If you're anything like I was at 19, perhaps print it out and read it again tomorrow.)

If you've got time on your hands, then you might initially be able to offer your services for free alongside the people you want to work for.
You need to make the connections, you need to show that you can be trusted in front of the clients and that you can handle the jobs you are going for.

You need to make the opportunities happen - get creative.
Most of all - don't give up, if you've got the skills then the opportunities will present themselves in due course.

Good luck!
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.