ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheater "ground lift"  (Read 5777 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Cheater "ground lift"
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »

Reading this and JR's comments, it sounds like I should (either personally or via a "qualified person") make the stinger cap modification to each of my portable GFCIs.  Assuming that I don't screw up the solder job, is there any down side to this mod?
One downside is that it isn't UL approved.

I'd like to get UL to offer an opinion on it,  until then there may be some legal exposure. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 12:03:25 AM »

To split hairs, my suggestion does not technically meet UL listing, even though it can be done with off the shelf components.  The "3 prong to 2 prong" adapters are designed to have the ground pin connected to a ground-not that I have ever seen one used properly....

Not sure if "off the shelf" adds any liability protection-I also understand the desirability of the stinger cap from a noise standpoint.
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »

To split hairs, my suggestion does not technically meet UL listing, even though it can be done with off the shelf components.  The "3 prong to 2 prong" adapters are designed to have the ground pin connected to a ground-not that I have ever seen one used properly....

Not sure if "off the shelf" adds any liability protection-I also understand the desirability of the stinger cap from a noise standpoint.
I may be the only person who ever tried to use a 3 prong adapter properly, until I realized that the screw on my outlet faceplate wasn't grounded to anything so why bother?

For back-line use the ground lift adapter in combination with a GFCI power drop actually could protect a musician from a hot mic finding ground via that power drop EGC.

Johnny the engineer likes the GFCI stinger cap very much  ;D, Johnny the businessman doesn't like modifying UL listed gear casually.  :o

The win-win is to get this blessed by UL... In an ideal world they should, but some business will need to pony up some cash... I suggested it to one GFCI maker and the last time I called the engineer there he didn't take my call.  :-[  but I haven't given up yet.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.