ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 configuration and digital snake issue questions  (Read 6769 times)

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
x32 configuration and digital snake issue questions
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:10:57 PM »

I posted not long ago inquiring about the XAir series of mixers from Behringer, and from that conversation, I am now thinking I should go the other direction and am seriously considering an X32 solution.

I want a flexible setup that would work for both my DJ and live sound gigs.

It seems to me that I could get an X32 with some combination of S16 or SD16 digital snake boxes so I could have analog inputs near the X32 core, and more on the stage or at a remote location.

The live sound gigs I have done typically have my MixWiz at FOH connected to equipment in the same rack, both in and out, and with a 16/4 analog snake to the stage.

The DJ gigs I've done typically have everything within a few feet of my MixWiz.

The idea for me is that for the DJ gigs I would have an X32 core and one of the snake boxes in a rack under my DJ kit, out of sight, using a tablet as my control surface.

for live gigs, stage connects to stagebox #1, which goes to x32 core, which goes to MixWiz. MixWiz outputs go to stagebox #2 which goes to stagebox #1 inputs. And the stagebox #1 outputs go to the speakers. (K10s and KW181s, and stage monitors)

Besides checking to see if this is a viable schematic, I was wondering if the issues with using more than one stagebox with the X32 have been resolved. I remember seeing a lot of complaints about 1 stagebox working fine, but adding a 2nd box caused major issues, in the past.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: x32 configuration and digital snake issue questions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »

Don't mess around with the X32 core. Just get an X32 rack. It can be configured to act just as a stage box, or to operate completely on its own. 

If you are moving to the digital realm, you can eliminate the mix whiz completely.  The X32 rack hangs out on stage as a stage box, and then you run cat 5 to FOH using one of the X32 surfaces.  This works extremely well.  If you lose the FOH X32, you can use the X32 rack on its own and keep running.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:41:28 AM »

There is no local i/o on the X32 Core other than "monitor" out.  You must use an S16, M16 or X32Rack to get signals in or out of the Core.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:01:51 AM »

Don't mess around with the X32 core. Just get an X32 rack. It can be configured to act just as a stage box, or to operate completely on its own. 

If you are moving to the digital realm, you can eliminate the mix whiz completely.  The X32 rack hangs out on stage as a stage box, and then you run cat 5 to FOH using one of the X32 surfaces.  This works extremely well.  If you lose the FOH X32, you can use the X32 rack on its own and keep running.

Thanks. That's a good idea.

Josh Voyles

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »

I remember seeing a lot of complaints about 1 stagebox working fine, but adding a 2nd box caused major issues, in the past.

The only issue I had was the second S16 booted "weird" with all phantom power lights on and no output. However, a simple reboot fixed the problems and I haven't had issues since.

We are using a X32 and two S16 on a very high profile gig and I really don't get concerned. I've even used the same rig for the Secretary of the Air Force.

The digital snake systems are so good no days compared to what I was using nearly 10 years ago. I remember having to always carry an analog back up.

Anyway, it seems like I might suggest a X32 compact and a S16 for your needs.

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 02:13:05 PM »

I have show coming in next week with their own X32 rack setup. How can I tap their inputs to my X32 surface to use same mics/inputs and have my own monitor setup and FOH control?
Sorry, I should know this put it has never come up.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 02:53:58 AM »

I have show coming in next week with their own X32 rack setup. How can I tap their inputs to my X32 surface to use same mics/inputs and have my own monitor setup and FOH control?
Sorry, I should know this put it has never come up.
On their x32 set the aes50 (a or b) to local. This will give you their raw audio right after the preamp sent to your x32.

On your x32 set home to the corresponding aes50 ports.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »

for live gigs, stage connects to stagebox #1, which goes to x32 core, which goes to MixWiz. MixWiz outputs go to stagebox #2 which goes to stagebox #1 inputs. And the stagebox #1 outputs go to the speakers. (K10s and KW181s, and stage monitors)

I'm curious how you're planning on integrating a Mixwiz into all of this. The X32 digital snake only works as a snake for the X32/M32. Connecting to a mixer other than another X32/M32 would take an analog split snake (which is the normal way to do it), or eat up a bunch of inputs and outputs (which would be very impractical). I'm just wondering what your plan is.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »

I'm curious how you're planning on integrating a Mixwiz into all of this. The X32 digital snake only works as a snake for the X32/M32. Connecting to a mixer other than another X32/M32 would take an analog split snake (which is the normal way to do it), or eat up a bunch of inputs and outputs (which would be very impractical). I'm just wondering what your plan is.

I've stayed away from furthing commenting on this because I have the same basic question you have.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »

the idea was to have the MixWiz used basically for just the level controls so I had physical faders and let the X32 do the processing like compressor, gate, etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.