ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless analog point-to-point: oddity in the specs  (Read 5820 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Wireless analog point-to-point: oddity in the specs
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »

I've been considering using Listen Technology's assistive listening components to do point-to-point audio. Specifically purpose is to send a mix from a portable audio cart into an installed system in a Gym. There are no mic/line jacks so trying a wireless solution that is cheaper than Shure P9T-to-UR4+.

The oddity: Listen Tech's LT-800 transmitter and LR-100 receiver are available in 72MHz and 216MHz varieties. I assumed the 216MHz would have better specs. BUT: frequency response specs say
216 MHz - 60Hz to 10KHz (+/-3dB)
72 MHz - 50Hz to 15KHz (+/-3dB)

Whadya make of that?

Link to transmitter: http://www.listentech.com/shop/product/stationary-rf-transmitter-72mhz/
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Scott Helmke

Re: Wireless analog point-to-point: oddity in the specs
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »

Neither one is going to sound especially hifi - emphasis is on low cost and reliability, not sound quality. 

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »

I've been considering using Listen Technology's assistive listening components to do point-to-point audio. Specifically purpose is to send a mix from a portable audio cart into an installed system in a Gym. There are no mic/line jacks so trying a wireless solution that is cheaper than Shure P9T-to-UR4+.

The oddity: Listen Tech's LT-800 transmitter and LR-100 receiver are available in 72MHz and 216MHz varieties. I assumed the 216MHz would have better specs. BUT: frequency response specs say

Whadya make of that?

Link to transmitter: http://www.listentech.com/shop/product/stationary-rf-transmitter-72mhz/
more deviation allowed in the fm band would be first guess

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »

I'd contact Listen and ask them.  As to any technical reasons, I'll leave that to Henry or the manufacturer but I'd guess that for listening assistance bottom and top octaves can be sacrificial as they don't significantly contribute to intelligibility.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »

I am pretty sure what you are trying to do is also illegal. Those frequency bands are specially reserved for ADA hearing assistance. Proceed with caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 12:53:08 PM »

I am pretty sure what you are trying to do is also illegal. Those frequency bands are specially reserved for ADA hearing assistance. Proceed with caution.

Interesting thought, David. Must look into that.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:25:22 PM »

Have receivers available for the intended use. So long as signal distributed contains the full program  I don't think the subsequent additional use infringes on the assistance.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »

Have receivers available for the intended use. So long as signal distributed contains the full program  I don't think the subsequent additional use infringes on the assistance.

We use our assisted listening receivers with a small powered speaker when odd rooms become dressing or production offices at our PAC.  That said, there are laws about the minimum percentage of receivers required to be available vs number of seats - if you pull receivers in a system and don't have the minimum available you could open yourself to liability (unlikely) if you ran out of receivers. 

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »

Whadya make of that?

You are sending the sound to a GYM  :o ...what difference are those relatively minor differences going to really make?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

Whadya make of that?

It's a result of FCC rules regarding occupied channel bandwidth limits. More band width for deviation is (was, actually, as only legacy certified products can still be manufactured in 72MHz IIRC) available for 72MHz systems compared to newer 216MHz systems. Since these assisted listening products are manufactured under the permitted use rules for "auditory assistance communications" ( 47CFR Part 95.1009(a) ), it's only the voice frequency range that's of interest, thus the narrower frequency band.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.