ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dugan processor on cl5 opinions  (Read 7280 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Dugan processor on cl5 opinions
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »

The latest firmware AM is working great. I didn't use the AM much on 1.5, but on the latest seems to work just like the Yamaha cards to my ear.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 11:19:48 AM »

The Dugan automixer is made for situations where you want mostly one sound source at a time, so one should think of it more of an auto selector. A choir is very much the opposite of that - you need all voices to be heard simultaneously to achieve harmony, so I'd say the Dugan is very much not what you want to use on choir mics.

I once accidentally recorded all radio mics in a musical theater production through the Dugan mixer (= with the Dugan inserted on all channels) for later virtual sound checking/tweaking and the choir/ensemble parts didn't work at all - which was how I discovered that I'd recorded through the Dugan, but it took me a while. I couldn't really that that was the problem at first (no audible artifacts etc.) but it just did not glue at all like it should/did live.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Dugan processor on cl5 opinions
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »

I don't see an auto mixer as a helpful tool for choirs. OP, what is the goal you are trying to accomplish?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:12:28 PM by Samuel Rees »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 04:08:01 PM »

I don't see an auto mixer as a helpful tool for choirs. OP, what is the goal you are trying to accomplish?

It could reduce ambient noise when not singing, if you have a number of mics arrayed and open to pick up the choir, but generally not a typical use. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »

original reason i WAS considering the dugan was when the sapranos or baritones etc had solo parts it could help with sneezes coughs etc but have since abandoned the idea.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Scott Helmke

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »

You could group all the choir mics together into one mix and automix that against the altar mic, wireless pastor mic, etc.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 12:29:32 AM »

original reason i WAS considering the dugan was when the sapranos or baritones etc had solo parts it could help with sneezes coughs etc but have since abandoned the idea.
You could try expansion/downward compression on the individual mics to suppress noise when they're not being used...might take some finessing and may be touchy, but it's worth a shot if you have the capability - at least to say you did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »

You could try expansion/downward compression on the individual mics to suppress noise when they're not being used...might take some finessing and may be touchy, but it's worth a shot if you have the capability - at least to say you did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is exactly what AM does. The quieter inputs are expanded downward by the amount they are are quieter than the loud channels (actually relative to the sum of all channels). A mic that is 6 dB quieter than the loud mic (or SOA) will get expanded another 6dB to down 12 dB. But very conveniently this is a moving relative comparison. Trying to do this with a downward expander requires setting a fixed threshold that works for all sources all the time. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.