ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Audiopile, the rack, and all is what it should be  (Read 11861 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Audiopile, the rack, and all is what it should be
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »

Some of you may remember my post concerning Audiopile. I had nothing bad to say, however, being that it would be my first purchase from them I attempted to contact Audiopile, but with no results. Shortly before turkey day I received a response from Mark and Liz both, explaining the issues at hand, and reassuring me that if I still wished to order all would be well in Bob land.

I had also posted  another thread discussing my desire to consolidate some racks. The goal would be to eliminate the majority of on site wiring and cross connect. Initially I thought that a dual rack might be the way to go, then backed away from that after adding the weight of the components and rack. I finally settled on a single slant top rack. All of my searching became pointless when I couldn't find a rack with a 12U top, more than deep enough to work well with the mixer and cables attached.

Remembering Audiopile I found a nice 16U rack with a 12U adjustable slant top. I was skeptical because the price was very low, too low in fact, and that left the question of quality in my mind. I have other needs for a rack of this type in a use that would keep the rack stationary in the dungeon, so I said what the hell, if it's a piece of crap it will never leave the basement and no money lost.

Mark and Liz treated my order with due diligence and the rack arrived yesterday. I couldn't be more pleased with the service, and the FedEx shipping was far better than UPS. The rack was double boxed, and there were no dings, dents or other shipping damage. So far so good.

I opened the box after work and found some really nice surprises. First, as compared to the $600 Road Ready racks I have been buying the quality and construction was equal to, and in some ways better.
The rack came with a well made caster board, and the 4" wheels supplied were as good as any I have purchased regardless of cost. Two of the wheels had locks, the rack covers have egg crate foam inside of them, extra wheel bolts came with the wheels, a 2' square 1/4" foam pad for drawers came in the box, fit and finish is very good (except for one corner that gouged my hand), and the caster board attaches permanently in a way that strengthens the case. The tilt mechanism is very well made and lifts and lowers smoothly with a single motion. No shaking, snapping, etc., just a single motion that can be done with a single hand. All of the hardware is of good or high quality.

The rack itself has been loaded, and I couldn't feel much better than I feel right this minute. I've accomplished a goal by reducing case count, I have a good quality stage box, and I'll reduce setup time and interconnect tremendously. I believe in organized cabling, and you'll notice some of the cable organizers I've spoken of in the past on both the front and back. My amplifier connection plates are not installed, but I think you can still see where I've made an effort to keep the A/C away from any cable carrying audio signals.

PS- The rack plus shipping from the left coast to Boston was $575. Far less than any competitors pricing.

PSS - The amplifiers in this rack are for monitors only. The other racks carry the system amplifiers and PC's.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:31:41 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Audiopile, the rack, and all is what it should be
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »

Special thanks to Mark and Liz for the wonderful service and a quality product.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Chris Edwards

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:40 PM »

Well that looks damn sexy.

What's your guesstimate on the overall weight?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:35:23 PM by Chris Edwards »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »

300lbs or less. It rolls with one hand.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »

Looks heavy, but also looks great!  Well thought out and well executed.  I will admit that I have a bias against Asian imports when it comes to pro equipment and I was originally skeptical, BUT, I have found the quality of the EWI cases from Audiopile to be excellent!  It might take 20 years to see if they hold up as well as my old Anvil cases, but so far so good!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:50:00 PM by Chuck Simon »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »

Nice writeup, Bob. Welcome to the family!
frank

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:45 PM »

Great writing Bob.  Good pictures!  I have several cases from Audiopile... much better quality than the Road Ready cases (I'm currently replacing).

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:20:23 PM »

300lbs or less. It rolls with one hand.

Looks very functional.  I like the looks of that drip edge Bassman rig in the background, too!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:25:22 PM »

I see a lot of EWI cases and racks used on the bus 'n' trailer circuit.  For the most part they seem to hold up pretty well and represent a pretty decent value for the money; they'll protect their contents much better than molded cases and hold up better than the other popular brand of imported 'road' case.

We own a couple of EWI lid-over racks we're happy with.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:38:50 PM »

Looks very functional.  I like the looks of that drip edge Bassman rig in the background, too!

Dave

Gee Bob, is that my old Bassman?

Nice job on the rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:38:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.