ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX812P First Time Out. Monitor Duty  (Read 8502 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
SRX812P First Time Out. Monitor Duty
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »

Helped a friend last night where he used his SRX812P monitors for the first time.

It was a 6 piece blues band in a shopping center parking lot. We put 4 across the front and one back for the drummer. Mixes 1-3 were just vocals, mix 4 was vocals and sax, mix 5 was vocals and a little guitars for the drummer. Pretty simple set up.

We've worked with this band several times. Typically just moderate stage volume. They rarely do sound checks. Just plug and play. We set the monitors how we thought they would like them. They never asked for any adjustments all night!! Wow, that never happens. They said it was great.

We were all very impressed. These monitors sounded very clean and clear. Evidently they were loud enough for this band. Much better than the K10's he was previously using.

They are a bit large though and can take up some stage space. But the sound quality is worth it.

Mike Sullivan

Re: SRX812P First Time Out. Monitor Duty
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »

Good to hear Jamin.  Do you think JBL would think to release a dedicated monitor similar in design to the SRX712M?  Something that doesn't take as much space.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »

Good to hear Jamin.  Do you think JBL would think to release a dedicated monitor similar in design to the SRX712M?  Something that doesn't take as much space.

STX812M is the replacement for SRX712M. Size, weight, output is very similar.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »

The SRX812P is a little larger than I expected.

As mentioned. The STX812 was supposed to take the place of the SRX712. Not sure how they would fit an amp in a STX812.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »

Yeah. And now there's a cute little SRX-812 passive version, but it's closer to the size of the SRX812P then it is of the STX-812M. I got ten of the STX-812Ms-- it's nice that they are symmetrical so the HF can be on the right side or the left side, like the SRX-712Ms.

I THINK you can special order 712Ms if you ask Harman nicely.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »

I think a case could be made that JBL never directly replaced the SRX-712m (where size and weight were a primary criterion) but went in another direction.

Jamin you mentioned that your 812s were just plug and play that night. Did you have to do any ringing or EQ, or could you just run them flat?

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:38:17 PM »

I think a case could be made that JBL never directly replaced the SRX-712m (where size and weight were a primary criterion) but went in another direction.

Agreed.  The 712 was a gem that might not ever really be replaced.  Fortunately they are still available new if you look around. I have recently bought four more of them.

I like powered speakers for subs and mains, but unpowered speakers are so much easier to wire up for monitors, and I like having the amps at a central location.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:41:17 PM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:36:07 AM »

Yeah. And now there's a cute little SRX-812 passive version, but it's closer to the size of the SRX812P then it is of the STX-812M. I got ten of the STX-812Ms-- it's nice that they are symmetrical so the HF can be on the right side or the left side, like the SRX-712Ms.

-Ray

Like new compositions by P.D.Q. Bach, batches of SRX712M are "found" in root cellars, washing ashore in glass bottles, and dropped by storks strafing Van Nuys, CA.  JBL then sells them.  The speakers, that is.  PDQ Bach compositions are sold by Boozy Hawkes.  /fairy tale

The first rule of buying "discontinued" products are that you don't buy discontinued products /nudge, wink.  The second rule is 'call your Harman rep' and they will "find" a dozen and an accommodating dealer to complete the transaction.  Don't expect onesie-twosie sales, but I suppose anything is possible.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 01:25:13 AM »

-Ray

That's definitely a major benefit on them, especially if you need to do mirrored pairs.  My buddy uses the DMTH wedges from dB Technologies, which have the reversible front baffle for mirrored operation, and power/signal in on the amplifier end on one side, with pass thru on the other side.  If JBL could do something like that with a new powered wedge, I think they would have a winner.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:36:08 AM »

Like new compositions by P.D.Q. Bach...

Tim, I haven't thought about P.D.Q. Bach in years...all I know for sure is: There isn't a cloud in the ceiling for tonight's performance...

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:36:08 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.