ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Logic is crashing on playback  (Read 8232 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Logics crashing on playback
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 12:05:19 AM »

Not really-the guy that put this year's project together knows logic better than me-I was pretty comfortable with Cakewalk-but it made sense for us to go to Macs and Cakewalk doesn't go there.  I would have done this years, but we got behind on putting it together, and my day job was demanding too much of me to make it all happen at once.

Knowing we were going live and pushing the envelope, I always wanted to keep things simple.  We are trying to cue light shows and now some video mapping, sooner or later we need to step up to something like Ableton Live I think.

Silly question on plug ins.  Do they have to be installed on the computer playing the project?  I know I only installed included content on the one computer-so that might answer question on plug ins.

A big challenge for me right now is getting him to realize that I don't care how sweet the project sounds on his stereo studio monitors-I care how it sounds (and that it actually plays) on the mono system in the live space we perform in.  I feel like less is more in this case.
Steve Swaffer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »

Try Reaper?

Lightweight and low cost and Mac & PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John L Nobile

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 02:06:17 PM »

Not really-the guy that put this year's project together knows logic better than me-I was pretty comfortable with Cakewalk-but it made sense for us to go to Macs and Cakewalk doesn't go there.  I would have done this years, but we got behind on putting it together, and my day job was demanding too much of me to make it all happen at once.

Knowing we were going live and pushing the envelope, I always wanted to keep things simple.  We are trying to cue light shows and now some video mapping, sooner or later we need to step up to something like Ableton Live I think.

Silly question on plug ins.  Do they have to be installed on the computer playing the project?  I know I only installed included content on the one computer-so that might answer question on plug ins.

A big challenge for me right now is getting him to realize that I don't care how sweet the project sounds on his stereo studio monitors-I care how it sounds (and that it actually plays) on the mono system in the live space we perform in.  I feel like less is more in this case.

Logic may not be the best platform for live use but I doubt that there is a "better" one. They all have their quirks and everything connected to it has to be at 100%. The problem you have may be hardware related, a corrupt driver/audio file, OS issues etc.....
And like I said, you really have to know the software and everything else in the chain.
I currently run quite a few audio and software instrument trax and cue a pretty complex light rig from Logic. I also run quite a few plugins in Logic and in my UA Apollo. It runs very reliably. I've had a few issues this year but was able to keep things running without the audience noticing. Or the cast. You should be able to run your show without issues and then some with the gear that you have.

Maybe the audio interface is causing problems. What model is it? If you're not running an interface then I would expect to see those issues.

Not sure I understand the plugins question. You can use them to "master" a track on another computer. Then you don't need them on the playback one.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 07:25:57 PM »

So plugins may be my issue-I know he is fond of them.  I asked, because I know one install had no plug-ins installed in the Mac-if they had to be installed to be used on playback, then I know they are not involved.

As for an OS issue-brand new iMac, fresh install of Logics should eliminate that if it were the cause.

Interface is the QU-32 itself-it is OS X compliant, so no driver to install-just plug it in-but again, while working on this issue, my co-laborer ran into the same issues in his studio without the QU-32 connected.

With what you have told me, I am leaning towards a plug in issue.

I understand the difficulty in troubleshooting-but I also understand troubleshooting-divide and conquer and attention to detail.  We have experienced the same difficulty with several hardware configurations that should be capable-there is no hardware that is common to every instance.  Same issue has occurred on 2 different OS's-Yosemite and El Capitan also Multiple downloads of logics and versions purchased at different times with different licenses.  The only common factor is the project itself-within that it doesn't always occur at the same place, so it would appear to be a plug-in  (for normalization, possibly) that affects the entire project and causes a high demand on the processor/disk that is too much when the OS decides to do some housekeeping.

One concern I have is the ability to keep things running without the audience noticing.  We have changed our methods enough to where if this project stops it will be noticed.  We have tried to give ourselves an out that will keep things from being awkward-but it will still be obvious something went haywire.  It is what it is at this point.

I would be open to trying Reaper or another product.  The question crossed my mind as to whether an OS developer would be the best vendor for a DAW product-or if someone more specialized would be.  I tend to lean towards tools made by companies known for that product-but the cooperation between an OS and software is critical.
Steve Swaffer

John L Nobile

Re: Logic is crashing on playback
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »

I'd try another audio interface if you have one. I'm not at all familiar with the qu 32 but I've had a few interfaces over the years and they've all had Mac drivers. Maybe they're not necessary for a USB connection but that would be my last connection option. I'm on a Thunderbolt I/O now with both my macs.

I do have a couple of USB interfaces that I use on PC's but they're for non critical use. I wouldn't get any sleep during a show using those 😉
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:44:14 PM by John L Nobile »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »

I can't say I have vetted the QU interface-but the project has crashed with a different interface multiple times.  At some point in troubleshooting you have to go with what is happening not what you think.

I may regret waiting on a UPS.  There are thunderstorms in the forcast for Sunday-in Iowa - mid-December go figure!
Steve Swaffer

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »

I would not go with an El Capitan machine until such time as your DAW is updated for use with same.

DavidTurner

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 11:44:30 PM »

As Logic is an Apple product, I would expect El Capitan will be fine.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:50 PM »

FWIW, we ran though all showings without a problem from Logics.  We used frozen tracks, one show I accidentally used the project saved on the desktop-rest I used the project off the Extreme.  We did run off a new iMAc running El Capitan. In the future, we will have to take a hard look at plug-ins.

Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.