ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD amps  (Read 15853 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: QSC PLD amps
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:42 am »

Dale, your advice is appreciated.

One last question....when updating Navigator, I saw the latest release notes mention FIR filter capability.
How is this accessed?

Thx,  Mark

Brandon Wright

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 03:58:52 pm »

Dale, your advice is appreciated.

One last question....when updating Navigator, I saw the latest release notes mention FIR filter capability.
How is this accessed?

Thx,  Mark

Bob/ Dale,

I too am interested in the answer to this question. Although, after previously sending a similar query to technical support with no response, I have a feeling I know the answer.

This would greatly increase their value to me, and I am sure for others as well, as many other manufacturers have allowed end users access to such features (e.g. powersoft, ashly, symetrix, bss, etc...) presumably based on a need. C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.  8)

Ed Lohr

• Live Wire Sound Systems
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »

I've have been looking at PLD4.5 for some time now and can't find any specs on the power rating for 3 channels in parallel running a 4 ohm load. Does anyone know where to find that?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 04:31:19 pm »

I've have been looking at PLD4.5 for some time now and can't find any specs on the power rating for 3 channels in parallel running a 4 ohm load. Does anyone know where to find that?

Page 15-16 of the user manual:
http://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/amp/pld/q_amp_pld_usermanual.pdf

Scott Rexroat

• Rexroat Sound RS Companies, LLC
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 02:05:55 pm »

We are in the process of testing PLD's.  Application will be concert line array hangs.  We're lucky enough to have a shop that permits the rigging of a "shop" stereo.  Each hang needs 2 speaker lines for the L, M, & H.  All of the 12 loads (6 Left and 6 Right) are a nominal 4 Ohm rated impedance.  Right now we've got a 4.5 on lows, a 4.3 for the mids, and a 4.2 powering all 16 HF drivers.  Again, each channel of each amp is loaded with 4 Ohms.

BTW, we've performed many amplifier "tests" over the years.

These amps sound fantastic.  We are very impressed.  It's been a long time coming for an amplifier upgrade / replacement for our rigs.  These amps are the first amps that pass the test - for us.  Other manufacturers charging $0.50 plus per Watt have not been contenders.  We've just lugged the heavy amps, and enjoyed their tried and true sonic abilities.  Enter the PLD's....  We're buying some.

We've installed some of these amps in their CXD format and obtained good results.  Time this March has allowed for this 2 week test.  We did test a 4.3 last winter and particularly liked its control over the subs on which we tested it.  Our shop system has 6 21's handling the sub duty.  I'll report the results of moving the 4.5 to the subs ( all 6 4-Ohm loads) and also making the 4.3 handle the lows and mids; which will load the 4.3 with 2 Ohm loads!

One more thing, we'll buy only 4.5 models.  The 4.2 doesn't quite handle the highs at full full volume.  While the 4.3 would, it just makes sense to buy all 4.5 models.  Why not?
Multi Principle Technology Loudspeakers

Mike Goodreau

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 05:25:50 pm »

We are in the process of testing PLD's.  Application will be concert line array hangs.  We're lucky enough to have a shop that permits the rigging of a "shop" stereo.  Each hang needs 2 speaker lines for the L, M, & H.  All of the 12 loads (6 Left and 6 Right) are a nominal 4 Ohm rated impedance.  Right now we've got a 4.5 on lows, a 4.3 for the mids, and a 4.2 powering all 16 HF drivers.  Again, each channel of each amp is loaded with 4 Ohms.

BTW, we've performed many amplifier "tests" over the years.

These amps sound fantastic.  We are very impressed.  It's been a long time coming for an amplifier upgrade / replacement for our rigs.  These amps are the first amps that pass the test - for us.  Other manufacturers charging $0.50 plus per Watt have not been contenders.  We've just lugged the heavy amps, and enjoyed their tried and true sonic abilities.  Enter the PLD's....  We're buying some.

We've installed some of these amps in their CXD format and obtained good results.  Time this March has allowed for this 2 week test.  We did test a 4.3 last winter and particularly liked its control over the subs on which we tested it.  Our shop system has 6 21's handling the sub duty.  I'll report the results of moving the 4.5 to the subs ( all 6 4-Ohm loads) and also making the 4.3 handle the lows and mids; which will load the 4.3 with 2 Ohm loads!

One more thing, we'll buy only 4.5 models.  The 4.2 doesn't quite handle the highs at full full volume.  While the 4.3 would, it just makes sense to buy all 4.5 models.  Why not?
Were you able to drive the amps hard and judge their performance ?

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 06:13:22 pm »

For tri-amp rigs I used to have the highest wattage amps for the subs, medium wattage for the lows, and lowest power for the mid/highs.  But that meant carrying a spare of each. 

These days I prefer identical model amps in the rack, each amp having all the presets I'll need (e.g. subs, low, mid/high.)  Then just dial the appropriate preset and LOCK the front panel.  If a mid/hi amp goes down, I can temporarily take one of the amps for the subs and get going in a couple of minutes.  I still bring a spare, but just one, and it sits in the truck.  So I think your logic of having all PLD4.5 makes perfect sense.  Price difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is not so significant.

I've installed quite a few PLD4.3 and 4.5 -- they are light, great sounding amps and have been very reliable.  The fans are quiet, but for longevity sake I just wish those fans don't run continuously (they run even when there's no input signal.)

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Scott Rexroat

• Rexroat Sound RS Companies, LLC
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 11:29:05 pm »

I test amps from the lowest level imaginable and also with the red lights on steady.  The gain structure was matched to our normal amp racks.  This was achieved at the PLD's input gain adjustment.  The amp's limiters were set wide open (maximum power).   We hit red on the highs, even with the loudspeaker controller doing its limiting.  Again, the PLD4.2 is simply less power than what is needed for that duty.  Red lights on the other amps were only obtainable by defeating the loudspeaker controller's limiters.  We say amperage draws as high as 20A on the lows and upper teens on the mids. 

The fans running continuous is bothersome; however, the amp does draw 0.8 Amps at idle.  There must be a component requiring some airflow.
Multi Principle Technology Loudspeakers

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 11:29:05 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.