ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir  (Read 45144 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »

I think Soundcraft bought the rights to this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1062990-REG/sm_pro_audio_umix_24_digital_mixer.html

Looks suspiciously similar, minus the Lexicon and DBX branded effects.  Makes one wonder why it's not already on the market (under the Soundcraft label)?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »

It shows up on the BH Photo site as discontinued.

I assume it was discontinued when Soundcraft bought the design.

Makes one wonder why it's not already on the market (under the Soundcraft label)

Indeed.

Steve.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »

You were correct, Steve:

http://audioxpress.com/article/Harman-Launches-new-Soundcraft-Ui-Series-Digital-Mixers-Following-Acquisition-of-SM-Pro-Audio.html

Must have been a Marketing decision to offer 8 and 12 input versions first.  Winter NAMM is coming up -  would be a great time to introduce their 16 in / 8 out model (are you listening, Harman?).

Dave

Steve M Smith

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

I wasn't fully correct.  I didn't realise Harman had acquired the whole company!

with only two models for the moment—the Ui12 and Ui16

We're waiting!...

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:17:45 PM by Steve M Smith »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:30 PM »

The UI16 has some really neat features.  It can play an MP3 which the XR18 can't, and it has a feedback suppression plug-in built into it (which may come in some future firmware to the XR18 as well).

Unfortunately, the Ui16 also has some serious issues.  Not only does the WiFi have stability issues (reported by many even when using a good external router), but it also has re-connection issues which compound the problem.

The preamps in the Ui are flawed by design.  If you are an EE and you look at the ckt you will notice that they are using a general purpose chip for the ckt that is inferior to the preamps in most digital consoles today (including the XR18).  This ckt in combination with the fact that they rely on their signal ground being routed through the speaker ground connection results in an audible hiss.  This hiss gets much worse if you use phantom power on any microphone.

Do yourself a favor and either buy the XR18, or wait until Soundcraft comes out with a new hardware revision to fix the design issues with the current device.

It's a shame really.  Aside from these issues, the Ui-16 is an outstanding little mixer.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 08:27:06 PM »

I think Soundcraft bought the rights to this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1062990-REG/sm_pro_audio_umix_24_digital_mixer.html

Steve.

Soundcraft did indeed buy the entire company. I have been told by my SC mouse that the 16 channel version you pictured may well be introduced at Namm. Also, SC is in the process of rebuilding the series using more SC designs, components, etc.. Personally I like the user interface for it's simplicity.

More info here;

http://audioxpress.com/article/Harman-Launches-new-Soundcraft-Ui-Series-Digital-Mixers-Following-Acquisition-of-SM-Pro-Audio.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:31:51 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:19 AM »

I have been told by my SC mouse that the 16 channel version you pictured may well be introduced at Namm.
That would be good. It would make no sense not to have something which competes with the XR18.

Personally I like the user interface for it's simplicity.
I have played with the on-line simulation and it does seem good.  I liked the channel gains on faders option.

Also, I like the way you don't need special software on your controlling device, you just browse it as if it were a web page.

A friend has the UI16 which he likes a lot.  There is one feature which Soundcraft haven't implemented yet which is the ability to plug a display and a mouse into it for direct control without a computer.

I am looking to buy something like this, probably just after Christmas (when is NAMM?).  If the Soundcraft with a higher channel count appears, it will be at the top of the list.  However, I think I would be happy with the XR18 too.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:57:19 AM by Steve M Smith »

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »

There is one feature which Soundcraft haven't implemented yet which is the ability to plug a display and a mouse into it for direct control without a computer.

I am looking to buy something like this, probably just after Christmas (when is NAMM?).

NAMM 2016 opens January 21st:

https://www.namm.org/

I've been keeping my eye out for an inexpensive touch screen monitor that could be mounted into the slanted top of an SKB rack and connected via HDMI to the Ui16 (or Ui24, should it be released soon...).  The monitors made specifically for server closets are disproportionately expensive, otherwise I'd grab one.  A direct connection would provide an extra layer of peace-of-mind in the event of WiFi glitches.

Dave

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 01:11:29 PM »

Dave,
There's plenty of low cost touch screen monitors available that can be mounted. Here's one similar to the monitor I have rack mounted in a case.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-21-5-led-hd-touch-screen-monitor-black/9196102.p?id=1219002586460&
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »

The touch screen monitor as a controller is exactly what I want to try.

I think I will wait until after NAMM to see if the UI24 shows up. It would be nice if the monitor and mouse software was released then too. Otherwise a Raspberry Pi could be used.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:39:49 AM by Steve M Smith »

ProSoundWeb Community

Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.