ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure SLX static issues?  (Read 8607 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Shure SLX static issues?
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:38:40 PM »

Hello everyone,
I've owned my SLX wireless mic system for about 8-10months now and I would get a static sound like something being transmitted from a cell phone signal periodically at shows. Drives me nuts. For $500+ wireless system you would think it would work flawlessly.

Mic and transmitter are always in site on each other, good cables, good power sources, fresh batteries. I use my wifi router (netgear) to some shows using my iPad to my X32 console. Could that be the problem?! I'm trying to find the source of this issue but the wifi router is my last resort before I sell this thing. Going to try not running the router tonight and see what happens.

Anyone else ever had this issue?

Again, it's intermittent.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Cailen Waddell

Re: Shure SLX static issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »

Where are you?  What is the frequency settings on your transmitter and receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 12:15:55 AM »

You are getting interference. Happens with even the top of the line devices. Frequency coordination is very important. Just using the built in scan is really not enough in today's very crowded RF environment.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »

I've owned my SLX wireless mic system for about 8-10months now and I would get a static sound like something being transmitted from a cell phone signal periodically at shows. Drives me nuts. For $500+ wireless system you would think it would work flawlessly.

Mic and transmitter are always in site on each other, good cables, good power sources, fresh batteries. I use my wifi router (netgear) to some shows using my iPad to my X32 console. Could that be the problem?! I'm trying to find the source of this issue but the wifi router is my last resort before I sell this thing. Going to try not running the router tonight and see what happens.

Anyone else ever had this issue?

Again, it's intermittent.

What do you mean by "Mic and transmitter are always . . ."? I presume you mean mic and receiver? Is the transmitter a hand held or a body pack? If a body pack, what is the microphone element make and model?

Does this noise occur in all venues, or just a single location?

Does the interference in fact sound like that from a TDMA phone or broadband modem (e.g. AT&T, T-Mobile, old Nextel)? There are very few devices whose demodulated RFI sounds like that and likely to be found in a non-industrial environment. You might want to check to see if either your performer/user has a cell phone on their person when using the transmitter (the phone will be powered on and not in "airplane mode" to create the RFI), or is there a phone near the receiver or receiver antenna?

Spread spectrum devices, either DSSS (such as wireless access points) or FHSS will not be a source of the type of interference that creates the noise I believe you're attempting to describe. 

If the noise is not in fact that of a TDMA device, you might want to see if there are nearby large AC motors or motor controllers (think elevators), or possibly the AC power feed for the motor system. Other RFI candidates are LED lights, video walls (with moving images), fluorescent ballasts/controllers, neon transformers, and my personal favorite, the Tesla coil with the bad transformer.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 09:16:14 PM »

What do you mean by "Mic and transmitter are always . . ."? I presume you mean mic and receiver? Is the transmitter a hand held or a body pack? If a body pack, what is the microphone element make and model?

Does this noise occur in all venues, or just a single location?

Does the interference in fact sound like that from a TDMA phone or broadband modem (e.g. AT&T, T-Mobile, old Nextel)? There are very few devices whose demodulated RFI sounds like that and likely to be found in a non-industrial environment. You might want to check to see if either your performer/user has a cell phone on their person when using the transmitter (the phone will be powered on and not in "airplane mode" to create the RFI), or is there a phone near the receiver or receiver antenna?

Spread spectrum devices, either DSSS (such as wireless access points) or FHSS will not be a source of the type of interference that creates the noise I believe you're attempting to describe. 

If the noise is not in fact that of a TDMA device, you might want to see if there are nearby large AC motors or motor controllers (think elevators), or possibly the AC power feed for the motor system. Other RFI candidates are LED lights, video walls (with moving images), fluorescent ballasts/controllers, neon transformers, and my personal favorite, the Tesla coil with the bad transformer.

Sorry, mic and receiver are always in line of site no more than 15-20' of each other.

Noise occurs in all venues whether indoor/outdoor, I've even had the musicians turn their cell phones off when on stage. This past weekend I even had the mic 1' away from the receiver, had the AC plugged to my Furman, fresh batteries, I even unplugged my Wifi router and powered it down as well as my cell and it still happened. Frustrating. I tested it on almost ALL different channels and groups, sync'd the mic and still occurred. Moved location and different AC power and yup, still happened.

Model is Shure SLX with Bets 58 mic.

My friend brought his older Shure PG wireless mic and received and not one single problem or issue. Same place, same everything.

Henry Cohen

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »

My friend brought his older Shure PG wireless mic and received and not one single problem or issue. Same place, same everything.

Same frequency? Same squelch level? AC plugged into the same power source (Furman)?

Does the noise occur if the transmitter is off, but the receiver on (and squelched to an appropriate level)?
Henry Cohen

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »

Same frequency? Same squelch level? AC plugged into the same power source (Furman)?

Does the noise occur if the transmitter is off, but the receiver on (and squelched to an appropriate level)?

Same frequency on both mic and receiver every time I changed it. To be honest, I haven't seen a "squelch" on the mic or receiver. On the receiver there is a "volume" dial and on the mic itself has a -10db and 0db switch.

AC is plugged into the same source. From what I can tell, it only happens with the mic is turned on.

I have a brief video that I took while it happened but trying to upload it to my photobucket account so that I can share.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:46:16 PM by Sam Costa »

Henry Cohen

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:47:52 PM »

Yes, I see there's no user squelch setting. Still, does the noise occur if the transmitter is off, but the receiver on?
Henry Cohen

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »

Yes, I see there's no user squelch setting. Still, does the noise occur if the transmitter is off, but the receiver on?

Henry, from what I can tell it only happens when the mic is turned on.

Here's a link:
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/fullforcesound/media/Sound%20Pics/45B22318-285C-48C6-9508-B0128EB7E8EF_zpsjajuyr5x.mp4.html

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.