ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C214 Mic for bass guitar.  (Read 3355 times)

Jeff Bankston

AKG C214 Mic for bass guitar.
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:53:31 AM »

Has anyone used an AKG C214 to mic a bass guitar amp ? Has anyone used an old AKG C414B-ULS/TLII to mic a bass guitar amp ? How did you like the results ? I'm going to get one or the other and I know where several of the old C414B-ULS/TLII mics are. However if the C214 sounds the same on bass guitar amp I'll save some money and go with the C214. The bass rig is a 80's Ampeg SVT/810 rig.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: AKG C214 Mic for bass guitar.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »

I've used a 214 on an acoustic bass, and it sounded great. I've never tried one on a bass amp though. Most people ask for a Beta 52 or an M88. I think it would work well, it's a great sounding mic.

I have a pair of 414 XLS's, and they're great sounding mics, but I think they'd be overkill for a bass amp. I'm sure your 414's would sound fine, even though it's a "vocal" mic, but that's a lot of mic for a bass amp. Just my opinion. But if you already have them, you might as well give it a shot.

Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »

Has anyone used an AKG C214 to mic a bass guitar amp ? Has anyone used an old AKG C414B-ULS/TLII to mic a bass guitar amp ? How did you like the results ? I'm going to get one or the other and I know where several of the old C414B-ULS/TLII mics are. However if the C214 sounds the same on bass guitar amp I'll save some money and go with the C214. The bass rig is a 80's Ampeg SVT/810 rig.

Since the C214 is a C414 with a single diaphragm, thereby not having the selectable patterns, it should sound about the same as a C414 with the cardioid pattern selected. I have never used the C214, but for live use, a cardioid would cover the the majority of applications.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:58:12 PM »

Since the C214 is a C414 with a single diaphragm, thereby not having the selectable patterns, it should sound about the same as a C414 with the cardioid pattern selected. I have never used the C214, but for live use, a cardioid would cover the the majority of applications.
thats what i'm thinking. i'm goning to try to find a 214 i can rent. i hate to spend $400 on a mic and it not work out.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »

I actually like an AKG D112 on a bass amp better than a B52.  The other thing would be a good warm LDC.  I've used my MXL V67 out in front of drums and liked how the kick sounded.  Would probably work well on a bass.  Also ribbons if you keep them away from ports with a lot of airflow.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.