ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Helical Antennae: RHCP/LHCP  (Read 15972 times)

Tim Steer

Helical Antennae: RHCP/LHCP
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:50:43 AM »

When setting up a wireless link using a transmitter and receiver with two helicals facing each other, should both antennas be RHCP or should I be using a LHCP/RHCP pair?

I'm sure this is a simple question to someone who knows about these things, but I'm afraid what I know about RF engineering could be written on the back of a napkin. From what I've gleaned from model aeroplane forums it sounds like both antennas should be identical, and choosing the wrong combination can result in a 30dB loss in received signal, but I wanted to get the opinion of some people in the industry, as one company I work for uses a RHCP/LHCP pair for wireless audio links (to my mind this intuitively 'seems wrong' as the 'threads' won't 'wind on' to each-other, if you catch my drift).

This begs the questions, what is the practical difference between RHCP/LHCP, and why might a company have equal numbers of both types in their hire-stock?

Scott Helmke

Re: Helical Antennae: RHCP/LHCP
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »

You want to use the same handedness / "sense" on both. Think of it like nuts on a threaded rod.

There is attenuation from the polarity mismatch when mixing the two types. A practical application might be putting IEM transmitters on LH and wireless mics on RH to reduce interference between the two.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »

When setting up a wireless link using a transmitter and receiver with two helicals facing each other, should both antennas be RHCP or should I be using a LHCP/RHCP pair?

This brings up an interesting question.  Maybe Henry Cohen can answer.

If the 2 Helicals are facing each other should one be RH and the other LH for aligning the polarity?  Is the polarity mirror image?
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »

If the 2 Helicals are facing each other should one be RH and the other LH for aligning the polarity?  Is the polarity mirror image?
Good question.
As for the OP, in a wireless link situation where antenna polarity can be fixed, is it worth using  helicals or would LP (fins) be fine?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »

Which way they are facing does not affect the polarization. As a point to point link they should have the same polarization (twist). To minimize cross interference between IEM transmitters and mic receivers they should have opposite polarization (twist).

Mac

Tim Steer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »

You want to use the same handedness / "sense" on both. Think of it like nuts on a threaded rod.

There is attenuation from the polarity mismatch when mixing the two types. A practical application might be putting IEM transmitters on LH and wireless mics on RH to reduce interference between the two.

Thanks, that's how I imagined it to be.

Good question.
As for the OP, in a wireless link situation where antenna polarity can be fixed, is it worth using  helicals or would LP (fins) be fine?

I take your point, but it's a somewhat hypothetical situation that just interested me.

Which way they are facing does not affect the polarization. As a point to point link they should have the same polarization (twist). To minimize cross interference between IEM transmitters and mic receivers they should have opposite polarization (twist).

Mac

Makes total sense. Thanks everyone.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »

Mac

The idea of thinking of it like a bolt really helped me visualize this.  But thanks for confirming that.

Oh, and how much fun is it to answer an RF question posed by Peter Erskine?  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »

Oh, and how much fun is it to answer an RF question posed by Peter Erskine?  :)

Not nearly as much fun as when he asks at which BBQ place we should eat  ;D
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »

Not nearly as much fun as when he asks at which BBQ place we should eat  ;D

Big W's Roadside BBQ in Wingdale NY. I've already dragged Pete there, he cam away a believer.

Mac

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »

The idea of thinking of it like a bolt really helped me visualize this.  But thanks for confirming that.

I was going to suggest a length of threaded rod as an analogy. Rotate it 180 degrees and it is exactly the same.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 04:21:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.