ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Explorer vs. TTI Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 10494 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Explorer vs. TTI Spectrum Analyzers
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »

Thought I'd experiment with Explorer.  First impressions vs. TTI.

1. Explorer takes about a minute to do 4 averaged scans of a 60 MHz segment.  TTI takes a few seconds.
2. Explorer needs to be connected to a computer to do scans and TTI stands alone but also can connect to computer.
3. Explorer exports CSV compatible with both WB and IAS.  TTI exports work in IAS but need to have headers edited out for WB.
4. Explorer, connected to computer, saves CSV there while TTI needs to have Sneaker net to move files.
5. Explorer costs $415 for 6G version with software.  TTI PSA1302 Costs $1395.00.
6. Explorer uses laborious keystrokes to enter frequencies and TTI has keypad on touch screen
7. Explorer has very low rez B&W screen compared to TTI Color screen
8. Explorer has no on screen graticule. TTI has Frequency and level with labels,

Examples of scans in same location below
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:49:54 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Explorer vs. TTI Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:32:16 AM »

Pete, when you say "explorer" , are you referring to the product "RF Explorer" ?

If so, which model?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »

Pete, when you say "explorer" , are you referring to the product "RF Explorer" ?

If so, which model?

Yes, RF Explorer 6G Combo.
The 3G combo is only $275 Plus software.

http://rfexplorer.com/models/
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:22:56 PM »

Yes, RF Explorer 6G Combo.
The 3G combo is only $275 Plus software.

http://rfexplorer.com/models/

Just curious.  What's up in 4850-6100?  anything we as production professionals would ever need know about?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 04:28:46 PM »

Just curious.  What's up in 4850-6100?  anything we as production professionals would ever need know about?

5 gig Wifi, 6 gig SpectraPulse Wireless mics, other open bands for specialized use at 3100.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »

5 gig Wifi, 6 gig SpectraPulse Wireless mics, other open bands for specialized use at 3100.

The fact that 5G WiFi didn't occur to me is probably why i'm not an RF tech.  :)

Thanks.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »

Hi Pete,

Super novice RF guy here that just ordered an RF Explorer WSUB1G 240 - 960 MHz model, so this comparison is interesting. There seems be areas of the two scans with pretty big differences in RF, is that correct? If so, is that due to the time differences in between taking the scans?

Also, would you recommend conducting scans with whatever paddle or whip antenna is used on the wireless system to be utilized, or are the antenna's supplied with these scanners fine for general use?

Thanks for sharing so much RF knowledge with the community.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:48:27 PM »

Super novice RF guy here that just ordered an RF Explorer WSUB1G 240 - 960 MHz model, so this comparison is interesting. There seems be areas of the two scans with pretty big differences in RF, is that correct? If so, is that due to the time differences in between taking the scans?

Also, would you recommend conducting scans with whatever paddle or whip antenna is used on the wireless system to be utilized, or are the antenna's supplied with these scanners fine for general use?

These scans were taken about the same time the difference is in how the receiver works.  Explorer is not as fine an average as the TTI  Because iof the time of the scan- over  minute- the dynamic range seems to be larger in the Explorer.  A scan is not a quantitative measurement - just a way to see what TV stations and other interference there is so the normal whip antenna is fine.  Sometimes you might connect your SA to the actual antenna system you are using to see what effect it might have but not for the scan which really wants more of an omni antenna.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »

Pete,

I've been hoping for a post like this.

I am considering buying an RF explorer for basic wireless microphone coordination simply because I cannot afford anything more expensive right now; would you consider the RF Explorer a viable starter unit - so long as one recognizes its shortcomings/peculiarities? Are there any other units you'd consider usable for someone starting out in RF coordination? Handheld, computer-based, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:09:13 PM »

I am considering buying an RF explorer for basic wireless microphone coordination simply because I cannot afford anything more expensive right now; would you consider the RF Explorer a viable starter unit - so long as one recognizes its shortcomings/peculiarities? Are there any other units you'd consider usable for someone starting out in RF coordination? Handheld, computer-based, etc.

YES, I think it is very usable.  There are some cheeper ways to do it but not with the RF coordination features of RF Explorer.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 03:26:55 PM »

Thea's good to hear, especially from you.

I tend to use Wireless Workbench since most of the devices we bring in are Shure brand, so the ability to import [current] scan data with little/no tweaking is a plus for me.

IAS and a quality RF analyzer may be in store some day, but I can at least keep learning/experimenting until then.

YES, I think it is very usable.  There are some cheeper ways to do it but not with the RF coordination features of RF Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »

I have the Kaltman Win radio scanner I bought a few years back and have compared it to the RF Explorer and if I were to do it over again, would just buy the Explorer.
It really is good value for basic RF scanning and is much better than using just the scanners in the RF receivers.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »

Given the price difference between the basic WSUB1G model (which covers standard UHF TV frequencies) and something like the 6G Combo, is the ability to scan VFH and Wi-Fi frequencies generally worth it?

Thanks!

-Russ

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »

Given the price difference between the basic WSUB1G model (which covers standard UHF TV frequencies) and something like the 6G Combo, is the ability to scan VFH and Wi-Fi frequencies generally worth it?

Thanks!

-Russ

More equipment will be moving to VHF like the RAD UV-1G comm system.  Wifi you can scan better with your laptop.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 04:26:56 PM »

More equipment will be moving to VHF like the RAD UV-1G comm system.  Wifi you can scan better with your laptop.

test  i.  freakin.  fi. 

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Scott Helmke

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 06:00:35 PM »

I just got an RF Explorer, the WSUB1G+ model.  It's pretty cool, and even way out here in the suburbs I'm able to see some TV stations - very sensitive, more than I've been getting from our TTi's.  Agreed that the user experience is a little clunky compared to the TTi, but still very usable.

For the price, and the size, definitely cool to have. I've been wanting one that'll be able to ride with my regular tools.

Gian Luca Cavalliini

• Live on Stage
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »

I just got an RF Explorer, the WSUB1G+ model.  It's pretty cool, and even way out here in the suburbs I'm able to see some TV stations - very sensitive, more than I've been getting from our TTi's.  Agreed that the user experience is a little clunky compared to the TTi, but still very usable.

For the price, and the size, definitely cool to have. I've been wanting one that'll be able to ride with my regular tools.

Hi Scott, long time RF Explorer user here. Yes, It's sensitive... but pay attention to desense in presence of strong signal (also out of your scan range). If you want to verify, just open communication with a walkyes 50mW at 1 meter from half dipole antenna connected to RF Explorer and you'll see what happen. (so... stay away from IEM transmitting antenna also...)
LOUDER! - illustrated history of audio and live show evolution. http://www.patreon.com/gianlucacavallini

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.