ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which custom in-ear monitors?  (Read 7108 times)

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
Re: Witch custom in-ear monitors?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »

Almost nobody is creating components in house.  Nearly everyone is using Balanced Armature Drivers in various combinations.  Futuresonics uses a proprietary Dynamic driver.  There are a couple of others that i've seen that have hybrids of both approaches [ACS?].

Ultimately your buying build quality and customer service.  Most companies have multiple models to choose from and they all sound a bit different from each other.  I've used nearly all the models that Alcalair makes and settled on RSM Quads as my final resting place since they are the 'flattest' model i could find.  of course, YMMV.

Custom IEMs are a tough one to shop for.  Everyone swears that their brand and model is the best, [including me, frankly].  Truth is few of us have actually tried a broad sampling of units from different manufacturers owing to the custom nature of the product.  Personally i've used models from two different manufacturers and about 7 different models total, and i still don't consider that to be anything like a broad sample set.

Again, i went with my choice based on customer service experience, value, and build quality.  And I'm happy with my choice.  That in no way means that all the others wouldn't be just as good, if not better....

That is what I figured. It's a shame I live somewhere where it's impossible to go in a listen to demos easy. I have head a demo set of mid-price range Universal Ears and did not like them one bit, there were phase issues of the low end and I even noted that the units might be faulty. The Shure E5's I have had for like a million years did sound flatter and more in-your-face if you know what I mean. My search showed there might be a manufacturer in Sweden, who is closest to me. I will see if I can arrange a demo with them.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »

That is what I figured. It's a shame I live somewhere where it's impossible to go in a listen to demos easy. I have head a demo set of mid-price range Universal Ears and did not like them one bit, there were phase issues of the low end and I even noted that the units might be faulty. The Shure E5's I have had for like a million years did sound flatter and more in-your-face if you know what I mean. My search showed there might be a manufacturer in Sweden, who is closest to me. I will see if I can arrange a demo with them.

Look for things like money back trial periods and such.  Most of the better companies will do that if you're not happy.  They should also do as many refits as necessary until you're happy with the fit.

Alclair's policy is [or at least it was...] that once you've bought into their product, if you decided to make an upgrade you pay only the difference between the model you have and the model you want.  I've had a couple of friends that started out with a cheaper model and traded up to get better performance.  i've also had a couple of friends that started with the cheaper model and were totally happy right out of the box.

[To my US based friends, sorry if i sound like i'm hawking Alclair.  I'm not.  I just have a lot of experience with them and i've been happy]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 08:03:21 PM »

Look for things like money back trial periods and such.  Most of the better companies will do that if you're not happy.  They should also do as many refits as necessary until you're happy with the fit.

Alclair's policy is [or at least it was...] that once you've bought into their product, if you decided to make an upgrade you pay only the difference between the model you have and the model you want.  I've had a couple of friends that started out with a cheaper model and traded up to get better performance.  i've also had a couple of friends that started with the cheaper model and were totally happy right out of the box.

[To my US based friends, sorry if i sound like i'm hawking Alclair.  I'm not.  I just have a lot of experience with them and i've been happy]

Hey, no need to apologize, this is very good information, I had no idea some would offer this kind of backing services, sounds very nice! Meanwhile I have done some additional reading and now it looks like Cosmicears that was reported being Swedish based is actually now in UK, so there goes my plan of demoing. Now I'm reading up on this company Spiralear in Poland. I like the fact their units seem to be not in a hard acrylic mold but in silicone. My custom molded earplugs are silicone and I like that fact, they are comfortable.

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »

This page might be interesting read to some: http://theheadphonelist.com/custom-in-ear-monitors-reviews-list/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.