ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking over a neglected system  (Read 18014 times)

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
Re: Taking over a neglected system
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2015, 04:07:29 pm »

Pardon the thread exhumation but I though it better to post here for context.

As directed by church leadership, I brought in three separate audio consultants who evaluated the room and provided bids (one has 2 alternate scenarios) for a complete new system. They vary radically from each other in price and specifications. I would be interested in any feedback (ahem) regarding the proposed main speakers. All scenarios assume one mono speaker array flown above the front of the stage, with various sub options. This is primarily for spoken word and light praise band (piano, guitar, cello, bass, no drums) capped at about 90 dbC for 150-200 people in a 30x65 ft sanctuary, 28 ft peaked ceiling, with an additional 30 ft deep stage area behind the mains.

Proposal A: (3) JBL VRX932LA and (1) flown VRX918S
Proposal B: (2) EAW KF740, no subs
Proposal C[1]: (3) Renkus-Heinz VAX101i with (2) VAX15Si on the floor
Proposal C[2]: (1) EAW QX366 and (2) SB150zP, all flown

I have heard a similar VRX setup in action and feel it would be more than adequate; although they sounded a tiny bit harsh to my ears it was nothing that a little EQ could not take care of. I have no experience with any of the others.  Appearance and price are going to factor significantly into the final decision, but setting those aside for the moment, I would welcome any comments about these speaker choices.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2015, 05:06:27 pm »

If going with the VRX option, please insist that its run on iTech HD amps with V5 presets. It makes a huge difference in how that box sounds.

The EAW qx366 is an awesome box too. I like it better than the VRX.  I have no experience with the other stuff
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2015, 05:15:32 pm »

Pardon the thread exhumation but I though it better to post here for context.

As directed by church leadership, I brought in three separate audio consultants who evaluated the room and provided bids (one has 2 alternate scenarios) for a complete new system. They vary radically from each other in price and specifications. I would be interested in any feedback (ahem) regarding the proposed main speakers. All scenarios assume one mono speaker array flown above the front of the stage, with various sub options. This is primarily for spoken word and light praise band (piano, guitar, cello, bass, no drums) capped at about 90 dbC for 150-200 people in a 30x65 ft sanctuary, 28 ft peaked ceiling, with an additional 30 ft deep stage area behind the mains.

I have heard a similar VRX setup in action and feel it would be more than adequate; although they sounded a tiny bit harsh to my ears it was nothing that a little EQ could not take care of. I have no experience with any of the others.  Appearance and price are going to factor significantly into the final decision, but setting those aside for the moment, I would welcome any comments about these speaker choices.
In any of these cases, make sure you get the correct amplification and processing per the manufacturer's (not necessarily the installer's) requirements.  For VRX, as Tim said, that means ITech HD.  For EAW, that means a UX-series processor, etc.  This is a pretty big deal.

We did a shootout between VRX, a couple Danley boxes, and EAW QX566i.  We chose the EAW QX boxes.  They sounded better than any other option and the price was reasonable. 

VRX can sound OK, but isn't as good.  I don't know why you would want the KF740 option - two of those modules is not how they were intended to be used - you're better off with the EAW QX series.  I have no experience with the Renkus option.

Edit:  I've never heard the QX366i.  I assume it is similar to the bigger 566i, but I don't know that from first hand experience.  When you get serious, make your top two vendors do in-room demos of the proposed gear so you can hear it yourselves.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:27:07 pm by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Mark Mattocks

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2015, 08:36:35 pm »

The Renkus Varia speakers are nice sounding with a choice of coverage patterns that will let the coverage match the room - not at all like the VRX boxes as far as coverage or tonality (have not heard the VRX with the V5 processing). I have installed the Varia boxes with excellent results.

The EAW QX series is really quite impressive in sound quality and output with a well-controlled coverage pattern.

The EAW KF740 is a line array cabinet, not a stand-alone or fixed vertical-dispersion array box like the VRX and Varia. Two boxes does not make a line and a single box is listed as 12-deg vertical dispersion. I would not recommend that one.

-Mark

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »

If going with the VRX option, please insist that its run on iTech HD amps with V5 presets. It makes a huge difference in how that box sounds.

The iTech HD amps would be a big hit to my budget. I'm curious if the difference in sound quality vs. XTi with V4 presets would justify the cost, considering a light acoustic/spoken word-dominant program and an average audience age pushing 60?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2015, 08:00:42 am »

The iTech HD amps would be a big hit to my budget. I'm curious if the difference in sound quality vs. XTi with V4 presets would justify the cost, considering a light acoustic/spoken word-dominant program and an average audience age pushing 60?
VRX is probably not the right system for you anyway. You are better off with a single box to do the job. Sound quality will be significantly better, and probably cheaper too. 

Something like the Danley SH60 will sound better than VRX - especially without ITech HDs, and be much less costly both in terms of speaker cost, as well as only needing a single amp channel. You could get away with XTI or Drivecore or Powersoft or lots of other amps with this box.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.