ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplified Speakers vs Passive Spakers  (Read 4345 times)

Jahaziel Martin

Amplified Speakers vs Passive Spakers
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »

Hey Hi.

I'm a music leader in my church and recently I was discussing with the pastor about getting new equipment, basically new speakers, new mixer and some other basic stuff, but the real deal: SPEAKERS. We have these old JBL JRX125 (2 per side) running through a Mackie M-1400i. We've been using this setup for about 12 years. The speakers have had plenty of repairs and they still work, but I think is time to move on for new equipment.

My sales guy in sweetwater recommended me (2) QSC KW153 if I want to choose amplified speakers. The other option was (2) JBL PRX425 + (1) Crown XTi 6002 amp, obviously if we go for passive speakers.

What do you recommend? I'm not a pro, so I basically don't know nothing about this and that's why I'm asking to the pros.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Amplified Speakers vs Passive Spakers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 08:00:36 PM »

Hey Hi.

I'm a music leader in my church and recently I was discussing with the pastor about getting new equipment, basically new speakers, new mixer and some other basic stuff, but the real deal: SPEAKERS. We have these old JBL JRX125 (2 per side) running through a Mackie M-1400i. We've been using this setup for about 12 years. The speakers have had plenty of repairs and they still work, but I think is time to move on for new equipment.

My sales guy in sweetwater recommended me (2) QSC KW153 if I want to choose amplified speakers. The other option was (2) JBL PRX425 + (1) Crown XTi 6002 amp, obviously if we go for passive speakers.

What do you recommend? I'm not a pro, so I basically don't know nothing about this and that's why I'm asking to the pros.
The FIRST thing you need to consider is what speakers will do the job (coverage-output-freq response etc), long before you talk about active or passive speakers.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each type.

But it the speaker does not meet your needs, then it is not very good is it?

Why did they recommend the specific models?  What information did you give them that you did not post here?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »

1.  Dimensions of the room Height Length Width.
2. wall ceiling and floor coverings.
3. Location of talkers, worship team ETC.
4. Location of listeners
5. Type of service, type of music.
5. Space or locations restraints.
6. Restraints due to TVs Screens, Lighting ETC.
17.  Powered or passive speaker
Not to Code

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »

I don't see the comparison between these models. The QSC option is about 3k in parts plus installation costs and is a true three way box with FIR filter tuning. The JBL option is about  4.5 - 5K in parts plus installation costs and is a dual 15" Quasi 3 way system ( not a real three way ) that has conventional passive crossovers. To me the QSC is the clear winner in terms of all out performance quality and affordability. It has a 75X75 deg coverage and puts out the same SPL as the JBL. The JBL is a 90X50 deg. box and will likely not sound as good as the QSC KW153. I am not a fan of the QSC KW series either if that is any indication. From a cost to performance value, the QSC KW153 is the better option provided it covers the needed area. If it doesn't cover the area correctly, I would look at other options first before the PRX425. It is a good middle of the road passive box, but the dual 15" format is not very good for many things and for many reasons. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ron Balsom

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:54:56 AM »

Greetings, Where are you located?  There are many helpful folks on this forum including myself.  Of coarse all are due some amount of reward beyond duties of what this forum provides.  Gives us an idea of what part of the country you live in......Blessings, Ron Balsom  Casper, Wyoming   [email protected]   I really think professional help is needed for your situation....Thanks again.                                 
Hey Hi.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:54:56 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.