ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL/QL Dante question  (Read 5934 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Yamaha CL/QL Dante question
« on: November 12, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »

I usually post in the lounge but this question seems like it belongs here.

Using a QL1 and RIO on stage. I want to multitrack record the event.
Can I put a switch between the desk and the RIO and plug in a MacBook with DVS and patch the direct outs to it? Or, must I add a Dante MY card?

As usual, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
Re: Yamaha CL/QL Dante question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »

Are you using redundant cabling? If not then no need for a switch. Set the QL to loop through mode. You also will want to patch straight from the RIO to your computer in Dante controller, no need to use channel direct out. For inputs on the QL lookup up "port to port" patching.

Philip

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »

Are you using redundant cabling? If not then no need for a switch. Set the QL to loop through mode. You also will want to patch straight from the RIO to your computer in Dante controller, no need to use channel direct out. For inputs on the QL lookup up "port to port" patching.

Philip

No redundant cables.
If I want 2 MacBooks, would I come out of the RIO to a switch?
With direct outs (on my ls9) I can adjust the output trims to compensate for hot channels.

I will read up on port to port.

Edit: just did some reading in the reference manual...
The MacBooks will be at front of house and not near the stage box.
This is a QL1 with a 16 input rio box on stage.

So, what I gathered from the reading is I should go from the desk to a local switch, then from the switch to the stage box and to each if the MacBooks.

Assuming the above, do I patch it using the port to port in the QL or with Dante controller?

I get to touch and set up the rig off site tomorrow night.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:55:37 PM by Rob Spence »

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »

No redundant cables.
If I want 2 MacBooks, would I come out of the RIO to a switch?
With direct outs (on my ls9) I can adjust the output trims to compensate for hot channels.

I will read up on port to port.

If you are doing a multitrack the outputs of the Rio should be in the ballpark if you have set up your input trims on the console. The Rio output is post input trim because the input trim is before the AD converter.

You can plug everything into a switch and choose in Dante Controller what DVS gets. It can be the direct outs of the console, or just a split of all the mics with no processing except any that you set in the Rio, which in addition to setting the gain also has a HPF and the polarity swap. There is an additional HPF in the console, so if you set that one don't assume the direct split has the HPF, to get that you need to set the one in the Rio. You could also record the multitrack as a direct split, but also record some mixed tracks from the console. If you do that you may have to do a time offset in post to align the direct tracks with the mixed tracks, they will both have the original AD conversion latency, but the mixed tracks will also have the console processing latency.

Mac

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 12:44:34 AM »

If you are doing a multitrack the outputs of the Rio should be in the ballpark if you have set up your input trims on the console. The Rio output is post input trim because the input trim is before the AD converter.

You can plug everything into a switch and choose in Dante Controller what DVS gets. It can be the direct outs of the console, or just a split of all the mics with no processing except any that you set in the Rio, which in addition to setting the gain also has a HPF and the polarity swap. There is an additional HPF in the console, so if you set that one don't assume the direct split has the HPF, to get that you need to set the one in the Rio. You could also record the multitrack as a direct split, but also record some mixed tracks from the console. If you do that you may have to do a time offset in post to align the direct tracks with the mixed tracks, they will both have the original AD conversion latency, but the mixed tracks will also have the console processing latency.

Mac

Thank you. Just what I needed to hear.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 01:52:52 AM »

The advise from Mac was perfect for tonight when we staged the system. Just knowing that my approach should work kept us at it when things behaved badly.
I got hired on to this event to record it. I am recording all inputs plus a 2-track mix to a pair of MacBooks.  All I was supplying was my MacBook and an iPad.

We built a Dante network with a QL1, RIO, 2 MacBooks, a GLD80 and a gigabit switch.

First up we connected it all together through a gig switch and had intermittent audio from the RIO to the QL though a patched connection from the rio to the GLD was just fine. Also, we could control the head amps on the rio worked fine. Connecting the rio direct to the QL had stable audio. That was a puzzle.

We had a second rio to try and we couldn't get anything to work with it.

What we learned...
The first rio was still in factory firmware.
The second rio had been updated two days ago to the latest firmware when it was loaned out.
The QL was also in original firmware.

So, after updating the QL to current firmware, everything worked as it should.

I ended up routing the direct outs for the 16 Dante channels plus 6 local channels and a stereo matrix out to the 2 MacBooks and the GLD and all was well.

The other rio will get updated as well.

Keeping the firmware up to date in a networked system is important.

Thanks again Mac

Load in at 2 on Saturday.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »

So you have two computers running on the Dante network at the same time?

Does that work now? It didn't work the last time I tried a year ago last summer.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »

Definitely have to keep up on the firmware. I had a show yesterday where the recording guy had very old firmware in his MY-Dante card, and things generally worked but Dante Controller kept complaining. Made an exception to "never update firmware right before the show" and all the weirdness went away.

Ade Stuart

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »

So you have two computers running on the Dante network at the same time?

Does that work now? It didn't work the last time I tried a year ago last summer.
Yes, definitely works and always has for me. What problems did you see?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »

Yes, definitely works and always has for me. What problems did you see?
I couldn't get Dante Controller to even route audio to the second computer. But like I said, that was close to a year and a half ago. I'll have to try it out again and see if it works.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 24 queries.