ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging choir mic vs boundary mic?  (Read 2894 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Hanging choir mic vs boundary mic?
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:54:32 AM »

I have a scene I need to mic background or ambient noise for.

Here is a picture of the scene:

http://liveanimalchristmasplay.com/gallery/#

Ceiling overhead is about 14' Sheetrock.  I have several Shure hanging choir mics.  I considered using 2' but due to staging concerns they would need to be hung as close to the ceiling as possible.  My other thought would be a boundary mic mounted on the ceiling.

Would there be a significant difference? Preferences?

Dialogue is already covered- just need to pick up those in the crowd taking sides during a confrontation.  Probably don't really need to be mic'd for a lot of the crowd, but those in the back will be missed.
Steve Swaffer

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Hanging choir mic vs boundary mic?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »

I have a scene I need to mic background or ambient noise for.

Here is a picture of the scene:

http://liveanimalchristmasplay.com/gallery/#

Ceiling overhead is about 14' Sheetrock.  I have several Shure hanging choir mics.  I considered using 2' but due to staging concerns they would need to be hung as close to the ceiling as possible.  My other thought would be a boundary mic mounted on the ceiling.

Would there be a significant difference? Preferences?

Dialogue is already covered- just need to pick up those in the crowd taking sides during a confrontation.  Probably don't really need to be mic'd for a lot of the crowd, but those in the back will be missed.

What are you trying to accomplish with it/them?
Live reinforcement?
Recording?
Both, if so which has the higher priority?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »

If the ambient/background sound is sheerly "presence", I suggest recording some general babble and try playback...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:47:30 PM »

Live reinforcement has priority. We do record, but that is just a secondary project.

We have used recording and playback for a crucifixion mob scene; however, the script calls for one person in particular to struggle with the guards.  It is not as chaotic as a mob scene and Coordinating his confrontation much more difficult and we have had issues using body packs in these situations.

Steve Swaffer

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »

Live reinforcement has priority. We do record, but that is just a secondary project.

We have used recording and playback for a crucifixion mob scene; however, the script calls for one person in particular to struggle with the guards.  It is not as chaotic as a mob scene and Coordinating his confrontation much more difficult and we have had issues using body packs in these situations.

Then my next question would be the relationship of the "crowd" to mics vs. "dialogue" to mics.  The distance from each "source" type to your two micing options is critical.  If your dialogue actors whom you say are already taken care of are closer to your "crowd" mic locations than the crowd is you will still have more dialogue than crowd and may not be able to control that blend in the way that you want to.  Additionally if the dialogue actors are picked up at a high enough level by your "crowd" mics and by their own mics at the same time you could have some undesired phase interaction taking place.  Be as far away as possible from the dialogue and as close as possible to the crowd.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.