ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My trusty old 6 track cassette recorder….  (Read 7702 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My trusty old 6 track cassette recorder….
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 05:31:52 pm »

My brain and the passage of time was deceiving me.  The version I have a review of was the rack mount version. Still six track though.

Apparently not!...

Steve.

I believe the MR6 was considered to be the rack version of the WS-X1- it even worked with the Sansui SY-1 (wired remote control) that was available as an accessory.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »

I don't normally tell other people's stories but Debbie, this makes for the exception.

One of my staff had been increasingly making trips to his mom's, about an hour from here.  The time to consider a nursing home was coming up and his mom knew it.  She asked her son to come to her house and record her playing piano and singing a number songs she wanted played at her memorial service.

It took a month or two but eventually he got the recordings done and edits made.  He took them to her and played them for her approval and she was very happy with the results.  It was an incredible time for them together and I understand there were tears and much laughter.  Not too long after she got her wish:  she was able to perform at her own service as a final gift to her family and friends.  What a cool and sweet lady.

Thanks for sharing Tim….. what a nice story..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 10:35:42 pm »

Back in 1999, my mother -in-law who I loved like my own mom was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.  She was in the UK and we already living in the USA. She had always loved coming to hear Chris and I play whenever she could and was our biggest fan. Anyway she told us that her favorite song was Amazing Grace and asked if we could record a version for her. Her intention was to have it played at her funeral service . We decide to record an acapella version. We both recorded  4 part harmonies on our old Sansui WS-X1 6 track cassette machine which we purchased almost 30 years ago in the UK plugged into our huge and heavy transformer and through our tears did the best we could for her…..we then sent her the cassette.
She played it so much during her last 3 months that she virtually wore it out and by the time she finally passed and the same cassette was played at the funeral service even though it was very degraded.

Anyway…fast forward…….Recently on October 17th, my father-in-law passed away suddenly in the UK. 
He had been sick but told no-one apart from one friend. He gave this friend some instructions a couple of months prior to his passing - one of which was to have the same song played at his funeral….problem was - nobody owned a decent copy of the song anymore.
At this point I would have recorded a new version but I can no longer sing like I could then ( throat surgery damage )…so I had to provide a plan B…...
So, I went up into the attic and found the old recorder in pristine condition in its original box (with manual) AND my now 22 year old transformer. Then I had to find the original 6 track cassette with Amazing Grace on it……Didn't expect much but powered on and everything fired up like new.

Although noisy ( as all tapes were compared to now), I was able to mix down on my DAW by utilizing the individual outs from each track on the Sansui and cleaned it up a bit and then mixed down to MP4.
Ironically it was the same funeral home we used for mom 16 years ago and this time they required an MP4 file for the service - which of course I was happy to provide.

Chris made the trip to the UK on his own due to short notice and some awkward logistics but I was there with him when they started playing the song…...

Just thought I'd share….

Here are some pickies of the Sansui machine. Apparently it was the only 6 track cassette recorder ever made…..

Thanks for sharing and healing prayers for your loss.

If it's not too personal can you upload it to one of the streaming sites and post a link?  I think everyone that knows you in the group would love to hear it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 06:50:53 pm »

Thanks for sharing and healing prayers for your loss.

If it's not too personal can you upload it to one of the streaming sites and post a link?  I think everyone that knows you in the group would love to hear it.

Thank you Scott for requesting to hear the song- I am very complimented. I am happy to share - but first, excuses.

1) this recording was made 16 years ago in haste as I originally pointed out….
2) this recording was made on very basic cassette equipment with an SM58…..
3) this recording was made at a time of great sadness.. (tough singing through tears)...
4) this recording was NOT the original 6 track but a variation it seems….the reverb is attached to the file but I cannot find the dry material.
5) this recording is raw and there are obvious mistakes in pitch and timing …..

…...so please do not judge… not my best work….

thank you - thank you very much !!

(if you listen closely, you can even hear the English accent - when I played it recently for the fist time in many years, I could hear it myself)

Link to 'We Transfer" - will last for 7 days.

http://we.tl/0KaOefajc9

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:09:02 am by Debbie Dunkley »

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 08:25:02 pm »

Thank you Scott for requesting to hear the song- I am very complimented. I am happy to share - but first, excuses.

1) this recording was made 16 years ago in haste as I originally pointed out….
2) this recording was made on very basic cassette equipment with an SM58…..
3) this recording was made at a time of great sadness.. (tough singing through tears)...
4) this recording was NOT the original 6 track but a variation it seems….the reverb is attached to the file but I cannot find the dry material.
5) this recording is raw and there are obvious mistakes in pitch and timing …..

…...so please do not judge… not my best work….

thank you - thank you very much !!

(if you listen closely, you can even hear the English accent - when I played it recently for the fist time in many years, I could hear it myself)

Link to 'We Transfer" - will last for 7 days.

http://we.tl/0KaOefajc9

Thanks for sharing Debbie -- beautiful.  Flaws made perfect though passion and honest feelings.

Peace and blessing to you and your family.
Opinions are like belly buttons.  Everybody has one, but not all are suitable for public display.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 09:51:25 am »

Sorry for the Loss.

My old Marantz SD-6000 is a digital drive mechanism with only a drive belt.  So the failing that I have is after changing the drive belt the light bulb and sensor is not working well to provide the timing signals.   I have to find the replacement part with the light bulb and sensor, or replace with led equal.  With lite usage your Sansui has not had the problem with the bulbs and sensors age and loss of light.   

I have the lower SD-3000 that is mechanical drive to carry me over.   These are the two track units however.  So all mixes are the final mix. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »

Thanks for sharing Debbie -- beautiful.  Flaws made perfect though passion and honest feelings.

Peace and blessing to you and your family.

Thank you Bill- yes the recording was certainly not about quality but all about emotion at that time.

BTW..... Dad was 91, still lived on his own ( since mum died), made all his own meals, had a very active Facebook and email account, drove everywhere, did his own grocery shopping and had a very active social life.  We became complacent I suppose because of this  and tended to act like he'd live forever. It's certainly the end of an era as all the brothers and sisters on both sides have now passed on and
my parents passed on many years ago when I was quite young.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 11:50:36 pm »

I need to download to a PC tomorrow.  None of my Android gear can palyit.  Thanks Debbie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 11:26:31 am »

I need to download to a PC tomorrow.  None of my Android gear can palyit.  Thanks Debbie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Try again Scott as the link was broken - I just fixed it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 11:26:31 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 23 queries.