ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RF analyzer  (Read 9025 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
RF analyzer
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »

The DTV dongle unit? Cheap price.  I ordered one.  I cannot even begin to explain how hopeless I think it is.  In my view, it is beyond understanding how poorly this performs.

Get anything else.  Get an old shoebox, draw on it with a sharpie,  and pretend you have an analyser.  It will be just as useful.

I tried one too....It showed me where TV channels were located....it also showed me a lot of garbage that I would have thought was real if i didn't have a TTI.   I was unimpressed, and then used the dongle to write a Raspberry Pi RF scanner Python program. It works about as good as the computer software version.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:34:33 AM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: RF analyzer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 06:20:53 AM »

The DTV dongle unit? Cheap price.  I ordered one.  I cannot even begin to explain how hopeless I think it is.  In my view, it is beyond understanding how poorly this performs.

Get anything else.  Get an old shoebox, draw on it with a sharpie,  and pretend you have an analyser.  It will be just as useful.
I hope they work reasonably well as I just ordered 6 of them. These are for some techs I work with that just need a basic scanner.
Will compare to my Win Radio system and if they are really bad, just send them back.
If they work as well as an RF explorer , I will be happy.

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »

There is more to finding usable frequencies than looking for open space on an RF analyzer.

Read "RF coordination for Roadies" for ALL the secrets.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:36:46 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »

do you want to find/plan frequencies before you arrive?   If you do not have a rf scanner you can lock out (reassign)the bad frequencies, recalculate and get new ones when you get to the new venue. 

I like setting up a rf scanner and letting it run several hours at a location and then assigning channels.  This works if you have time.  Also make sure you add to your data base the frequencies the venue is using.  There are many programs that will help you get close, just because the program/scanner says you have good frequencies does not mean you will have a good day!   have back up wireless and extra frequencies available. 

note:
was at a location 5 days, 9 wireless, everything worked great, last day took a 2 second hit on all the wireless.  I have no clue where/what happened.   

jd

Mainly you need the TV station scan, both outside and inside your venue. Long scans are nice but wont protect you from Roaving ENG crews.  Read http://www.bestaudio.com/spectrum-scans/
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.