ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RF analyzer  (Read 9028 times)

patrick major

RF analyzer
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »

What is an affordable RF analyzer for wireless systems using a variety of wireless products capable of handling pro live audio needs?

John Daniluk (JD)

Re: RF analyzer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »

hi

We are using the Shure AXT600 and Wireless Workbench 6.  It has a good data base for other manufacturers and ability to input specific frequencies.   

JD

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »

What is an affordable RF analyzer for wireless systems using a variety of wireless products capable of handling pro live audio needs?

What is your definition of "affordable"?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Phil Graham

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »

There are lots of software defined radio platforms at this point. What specific aspects of RF analysis are you looking to undertake?

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »

hi

We are using the Shure AXT600 and Wireless Workbench 6.  It has a good data base for other manufacturers and ability to input specific frequencies.   

JD

+1
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

patrick major

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »

I am specifically wanting to find open frequencies for wireless mics and  instruments for live audio for stage productions

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:16:58 PM »

I am specifically wanting to find open frequencies for wireless mics and  instruments for live audio for stage productions

There is more to finding usable frequencies than looking for open space on an RF analyzer. The analyzer can't tell you what frequencies are legally available, or whether there are other users who have priority and may not be transmitting full time. It also will not tell you if the frequencies you choose are compatible with each other in regards to intermodulation issues.

Pretty much any analyzer will show you unused TV channels that you can put your mics, comms, and IEMs in, but you will also need to check all your frequencies for intermodulation products with IM software like Wireless Workbench, or IAS.

The most popular "lower priced" analyzer seems to be the TTi.

Mac

John Daniluk (JD)

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »

do you want to find/plan frequencies before you arrive?   If you do not have a rf scanner you can lock out (reassign)the bad frequencies, recalculate and get new ones when you get to the new venue. 

I like setting up a rf scanner and letting it run several hours at a location and then assigning channels.  This works if you have time.  Also make sure you add to your data base the frequencies the venue is using.  There are many programs that will help you get close, just because the program/scanner says you have good frequencies does not mean you will have a good day!   have back up wireless and extra frequencies available. 

note:
was at a location 5 days, 9 wireless, everything worked great, last day took a 2 second hit on all the wireless.  I have no clue where/what happened.   

jd

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »

This is hard to beat.
[url]nutsaboutnets.com/rfviewer[url]
Check out some of their other offerings.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Lyle Williams

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »

This is hard to beat.
[url]nutsaboutnets.com/rfviewer[url]
Check out some of their other offerings.

The DTV dongle unit? Cheap price.  I ordered one.  I cannot even begin to explain how hopeless I think it is.  In my view, it is beyond understanding how poorly this performs.

Get anything else.  Get an old shoebox, draw on it with a sharpie,  and pretend you have an analyser.  It will be just as useful.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.