ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Venue - Dual PA with SRX715?  (Read 1895 times)

Jonathan Hiemberg

New Venue - Dual PA with SRX715?
« on: November 12, 2015, 08:07:36 pm »

We're smack in the middle of the remodel of a new location - a classic building (originally built as the first JC Penney in our town) built in 1922.

We've essentially rebuilt the main areas and mechanical structure from the ground up - it was totally gutted with the exception of the original oak flooring which we'll be restoring.

The space will be used primarily for live bands but also theatrical productions.

Attached are the plans as it is now built - framing is complete and the plumbing/electrical are in process.

The original design was to put new Danley gear in, but this summer we ran a series of outdoor concerts with 4 SRX715's over one DBH218, and I had a change of heart. I love the DBH - but I was really impressed by how good I could make the SRX sound with the proper bi-amped processing. My only complaint was how the source would 'smear' in the wind - so I'll be upgrading those mains next summer.

So - rather than drop several more thousand on new gear for this venue, I really like the idea of installing these SRX, they'll probably last forever indoors and I love the sound. I've got 5 just lying around = free.

Sub(s) yet TBD.

Essentially the seating area will be 35.5' wide and 45.5' long - although potential max seating area could but closer to 42' wide (wall to wall). Since I've got the gear, I was contemplating a dual-PA style install, two hangs of two SRX each. Each hang would have one speaker from each feed.

Ceiling height (open rafters) is 17'7" - so installed height would probably be around 17'.

When playing with the angles, the narrowness of the room certainly gives LOTS of overlap between the two hangs with these speakers, so potentially a lot of comb-filtering.

My questions:
1: Any reason not to hang them horizontally? That would make the effective coverage 50 degrees x 70 degrees vertical, which (on paper, at least) makes things play together better.

2: With this equipment on hand, any other way you'd approach this job?

3: The original electrical plan has circuits installed in the rafters for potentially powered speakers - how would you feel about installing amps up there? Extreme heat isn't an issue for us.

4: What other questions should I be asking right now?

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
Re: New Venue - Dual PA with SRX715?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:15:45 pm »

Are the speakers you have the 715 or 715F?  If they're not the fly able version then you can't safely fly them.

With a trim height at 17', the 70 vertical pattern COULD do a decent job covering the space. You could probably aim them so the front and back rows are both within the pattern.

The speakers might be free, but what about amplifiers, processing, flyware, etc? You've effectively doubled your costs for all of that.

The wrong tool at the right price is still the wrong tool. There are many Danley speakers that would work better and you could sell the SRX to offset the cost. Don't get me wrong, the SRX is a good speaker, but Danleys are in another league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 10:41:04 pm »

Are the speakers you have the 715 or 715F?  If they're not the fly able version then you can't safely fly them.

With a trim height at 17', the 70 vertical pattern COULD do a decent job covering the space. You could probably aim them so the front and back rows are both within the pattern.

The speakers might be free, but what about amplifiers, processing, flyware, etc? You've effectively doubled your costs for all of that.

The wrong tool at the right price is still the wrong tool. There are many Danley speakers that would work better and you could sell the SRX to offset the cost. Don't get me wrong, the SRX is a good speaker, but Danleys are in another league.

Danley may be better but you just absolutely contradicted yourself.  So instead of spending what they already have in the budget on amps for that, you're saying to sell them, and while he may get a decent return on selling them, he has to then take that money, spend it on more speakers, which even for a pair of Danley's might cost more, plus the amplification and processing, rigging, etc. for them.  For 200 people, I would think properly powered 715's would be perfectly fine.  Regardless of how they are oriented, considering you could probably use two just fine at a lower angle and cover without a problem.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Jonathan Hiemberg

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:01:23 pm »

Sorry to not clarify: Yes, they are the F versions, and amps and processing are already on hand.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 12:41:10 am »

Jonathan,

Please be explicit here. I've run dual systems for many years, probably before most people embraced the concept. What is your idea of a dual system, and why do you think this would work for you. I'll hold my opinions until you reply.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 05:49:32 am »

Danley may be better but you just absolutely contradicted yourself.  So instead of spending what they already have in the budget on amps for that, you're saying to sell them, and while he may get a decent return on selling them, he has to then take that money, spend it on more speakers, which even for a pair of Danley's might cost more, plus the amplification and processing, rigging, etc. for them.  For 200 people, I would think properly powered 715's would be perfectly fine.  Regardless of how they are oriented, considering you could probably use two just fine at a lower angle and cover without a problem.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that if he's running a DUAL PA he will have to double his amps, processing, etc.

Jonathan Hiemberg

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:37 am »

Jonathan,

Please be explicit here. I've run dual systems for many years, probably before most people embraced the concept. What is your idea of a dual system, and why do you think this would work for you. I'll hold my opinions until you reply.

My most basic intention would be to separate the vocals and music - vox into PA A and the rest into PA B.

My reasoning would be to maximize what I've got on hand. The wide coverage of the SRX would limit me to only two speakers in this size space - using dual PA might allow me to get a little more clarity out of the vocals, but this is new to me so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks so much for your time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:37 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.