ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining power/signal in one wire idea  (Read 14828 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Combining power/signal in one wire idea
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 02:15:53 AM »

Is the outer jacket SO rated, or does the inner jacket on the AC cord combined with the outer jacket material combine to provide SO grade protection of the conductors?  (I hope that makes sense; the links don't readily provide that spec.)

Good question.  My guess is that this gets rated SJO or some variation thereof but you'd have to ask the manufacturers.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 04:09:37 AM »

Is the outer jacket SO rated, or does the inner jacket on the AC cord combined with the outer jacket material combine to provide SO grade protection of the conductors?  (I hope that makes sense; the links don't readily provide that spec.)

I've never seen this type of cable SO rated, but from what I gather reading the NEC code book (don't quote me on this), it doesn't have to be.  It falls under a different category due to it's "high-tech" or "proprietary" nature.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »

I've never seen this type of cable SO rated, but from what I gather reading the NEC code book (don't quote me on this), it doesn't have to be.  It falls under a different category due to it's "high-tech" or "proprietary" nature.

Thank you. Hmmm. I'll see what I can find out, but I'm not sure if it would be worth an argument with the AHJ. Has anybody here been questioned by an AHJ about the use of combo cables?  (It might not be a real world issue, especially at the Lounge level, but I'm a cautious SOB.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 09:47:10 AM »

The most recent full NEC I have here is almost 10 years old and much has been updated in the last 3 Code cycles.

I think the big question will be if the "siamese" assembly has to meet the same requirements as any other electrical cable used in the same "occupancy", or if it's considered a detachable appliance supply cord.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »

The most recent full NEC I have here is almost 10 years old and much has been updated in the last 3 Code cycles.

I think the big question will be if the "siamese" assembly has to meet the same requirements as any other electrical cable used in the same "occupancy", or if it's considered a detachable appliance supply cord.

My read is that it is a detachable (since it does) appliance cord though since it isn't the one supplied with the device that could be questioned.

I have some 50' Siamese cables I use with my ZXa5s. Mostly I use em when not over subs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »

I'll also point out that Meyer Sound has offered "siamese" cables for years.  It's basically the same cable, but they use a multipin on the ends.  I rarely see this option in the wild, but one would assume that if a company like Meyer offers it, they have done the research.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »

Yes they ARE bulky, all versions I have seen.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »

NEC 2014

640.8 allows "insulated conductors of different systems...to be bundled... in portable cords or cables, shall comply with 300.3(c)(1)."   And that says that all conductors must have insulation rated at highest voltage present.

The following is in section III Portable and Temporary Audio System installations:

640.41 addresses multi-pin connectors.  Basically have to be able to handle the load and be impossible to connect incorrectly-can't use edison's, etc.

640.42 makes a distinction between

"(A) Between Equipment and branch circuit power.  Power supply cords for audio equipment shall be listed and shall be permitted to be used where the interchange, maintenance or repair is facilitated..."

and in 

(E) requires "equipment racks" to be supplied with extra-hard usage cord.

525 does not address combination use cables- it does reference to 640.

Seems to be a LOT of room for interpretation-might want to take the inspector out to a very nice lunch  and ask him his interpretation.

Steve Swaffer

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »

Just dreaming here but we know that the first thing that happens to that AC inside the amp is it gets converted to + and - DC.   It seems that it would be easier to place the power supply near the AC source and  send + and - 30 volt DC down a cable with line level audio.

I know, no one makes a powered speaker with a external powersupply, but perhaps they should.
Not to Code

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »

I know, no one makes a powered speaker with a external powersupply, but perhaps they should.

You can order SpeakerPower amps that will take 24VDC input.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.