ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining power/signal in one wire idea  (Read 14837 times)

Mike Sullivan

Combining power/signal in one wire idea
« on: November 05, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »

I know there's a couple different combination cables out there to combine power and signal for active speakers in one cable, but they seem bulky and expensive.  I was just toying around with ideas on how to go about combining them into one common jacket to make life a little easier... Is it possible to have somewhere take a regular 12/3 wire, and combine it with the conductors from a mic cable (for example, the 2 x 24ga plus shield from an EWI Starline bulk to fit in similar space as 12/4 wire, for example?  Just throwing the idea around.  If so, does anyone have an idea of a place that could do this?

I know, putting power and signal together has always been a no-no, but I would think there's a lot less of a chance with balanced signal. 
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Combining power/signal in one wire idea
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »

I know there's a couple different combination cables out there to combine power and signal for active speakers in one cable, but they seem bulky and expensive.  I was just toying around with ideas on how to go about combining them into one common jacket to make life a little easier... Is it possible to have somewhere take a regular 12/3 wire, and combine it with the conductors from a mic cable (for example, the 2 x 24ga plus shield from an EWI Starline bulk to fit in similar space as 12/4 wire, for example?  Just throwing the idea around.  If so, does anyone have an idea of a place that could do this?

I know, putting power and signal together has always been a no-no, but I would think there's a lot less of a chance with balanced signal.

These cables are available from a variety of sources. We use them all the time on my shows.

Mac

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »

These cables are available from a variety of sources. We use them all the time on my shows.

Mac

I haven't seen one that really put it in a compact package.  I've seen them from (I believe) CBI and American DJ also makes one, but they're quite expensive and bulky.  Instead of putting two separate wires into one jacket, I was thinking it would be easier to replace the 4th conductor with the mic cable lines.

Then again, if that is what you're referring to, I would like to see some links, please.   ;D

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »

Then again, if that is what you're referring to, I would like to see some links, please.   ;D

Link

Another LINK

Yet another LINK

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »

Link

Another LINK

Yet another LINK

See, I've NEVER seen any of those before.  I was just toying around with the idea to make my own.  But if these are not pricey ($175 for the Horizon, OUCH) then I will consider them. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »

I think my 10m ones were about $60/ea down here in Australia. 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »

Link

Another LINK

Yet another LINK

Having never held one in my hands, let alone taken one apart, can you describe the construction?

I know that there are code requirements for a barrier between low-voltage (signal level) conductors and high-voltage (100-250V) conductors in premises installation. Do the power and signal lines have separate jackets inside the overall jacket? Or does the jacket have a barrier between the conductors (like between the pairs in CAT6 UTP cable)? Or are the conductors happily commingling with only the conductor insulation separating them?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »

Having never held one in my hands, let alone taken one apart, can you describe the construction?

I know that there are code requirements for a barrier between low-voltage (signal level) conductors and high-voltage (100-250V) conductors in premises installation. Do the power and signal lines have separate jackets inside the overall jacket? Or does the jacket have a barrier between the conductors (like between the pairs in CAT6 UTP cable)? Or are the conductors happily commingling with only the conductor insulation separating them?

On genny installs, I can run the low voltage communication wire in the same conduit/flex as power wires as long as the low voltage cable has the proper rating-I think 600 V-so I would see no reason a cable assembly would be an issue.
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »

The AC line is jacketed separately, and CATegory cable it has its own internal PVC jacket as well (Signal lines do, too). Filler cordage is added to make it round and the outer jacket is extruded over the loomed conductors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 11:32:54 PM »

The AC line is jacketed separately, and CATegory cable it has its own internal PVC jacket as well (Signal lines do, too). Filler cordage is added to make it round and the outer jacket is extruded over the loomed conductors.

Is the outer jacket SO rated, or does the inner jacket on the AC cord combined with the outer jacket material combine to provide SO grade protection of the conductors?  (I hope that makes sense; the links don't readily provide that spec.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 11:32:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.