ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Gig with SRX818's  (Read 28270 times)

Steve Garris

Re: First Gig with SRX818's
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2015, 04:41:11 PM »

I own and regularly operate PRX6/715, as well as SRX812P. When I said the SRX812P out performs PRX6/715 in every category (except weight), that includes sound quality. They are extremely "smooth". I wouldn't bother answering if I were just yanking numbers off of the specs.

Yes - I've read a few reviews that come to the same conclusion.

Jay Marr

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »

I had all my rigs, JBL passive and Danley tuned by a pro(someone who does it for a living). I'm also
running first generation ITechs. I have never noticed a lack of low mid in either my 715's, 722's and 712's.

My Danley tops are crossed at 130 Hz and have a ton a of balls in the low mids. It's all about how the system is tuned and deployed.

Jason, out of curiosity when you ran the 712/718 were the tops and subs together? If I run,  say a center cluster sub configuration I might as well throw my tunings right out the window. You may have more even bass response at certain frequencies but IMO it never sounds as tight and together as when subs and tops are near each other.

Yes, the 712's were directly over the 718's on a pole.  Maybe I'm just crazy then and need to give the 712's another shot.
I used my 722's over 728's last night and man do I LOVE that rig.  Just sounds crystal clear, full and pounding.
If the 712's sound close to as good, I'd be using them in a heartbeat.

Anyone compare the 712's to the 812 passives??
That is what I'd be curious about....

Thomas bryant

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »

Yes, the 712's were directly over the 718's on a pole.  Maybe I'm just crazy then and need to give the 712's another shot.
I used my 722's over 728's last night and man do I LOVE that rig.  Just sounds crystal clear, full and pounding.
If the 712's sound close to as good, I'd be using them in a heartbeat.

Anyone compare the 712's to the 812 passives??
That is what I'd be curious about....
I have compared 712(Xti6000/80z)/812p/80hz
The 712 was louder, until in increase the comp makeup gain to +10 on the 812, this balanced the preceived volume.  Played bass guitar through both switching back between both.  I liked the 812, the bass guitar sounded solid down to 80hz, 712 dorps off at 100hz.   712 is lighter and has better paint than the 800's. 

We use the 4 - 712's on monitor and run bass/ without bass amp. 

At the Chili Cook Off today, great fall day in Michigan, the 818's kicked great, +15 comp make up gain.

Using make up gain on the subs helps me balance between tops and subs.

Classic Rock Band, Reggae, Buffett cover band

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:17:08 PM by Thomas bryant »

Bob Kenton

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »

Has anyone done any comparisons between the SRX818p sub and the VRX918sp?

Or maybe have some thoughts to share?

I have used the VRX often and love the size and sound of that sub.

Thanks, Bob

Steve Garris

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »

I had my second gig using these sub's last night. This time I used Aux-Fed with kick and bass only. They were awesome, amazingly thumpy, and were not being pushed hard at all. I used the output parametric EQ's to create a crossover - just tuned int by ear with some loud recorded music. I've got to say, the PRX615's sound fantastic with these SRX sub's.

I'm really considering selling off my PRX sub'rs right now.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »

II used the output parametric EQ's to create a crossover - just tuned int by ear with some loud recorded music.

Can you elaborate this? I'm curious what you did with the PEQ and what you were trying to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Garris

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »

Can you elaborate this? I'm curious what you did with the PEQ and what you were trying to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main outs to 615's, High passed at 90 Hz (lower than expected)
Aux 6 outs to sub's, Low passed at 105 Hz, High passed at 40 Hz

I used the 18db/octive default setting. I see there's a 24db/oct setting that I might play with on my next show. So you do see some overlap with these numbers, but this is what sounded right to me at the time. I've also run this system with the 615's just set to full range, and the sub's which have an internal Low Pass set at 80 Hz - still sounded great.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »

Steve, I suspect the default is for 26dB of amp gain.  Back in the Yee Olde Dayz we used amps with very high input sensitivities - Crown had an option for 0.775V for full output - and we got used to not running our analog mixers over +4dBu (or considerably lower) even though their output capability was on the order of +18dBu or more.  This left us some decent headroom at the mixer (and some of the old mixers needed that) but many users wanted either less self-noise or liked the sound of inter-stage clipping of mixers and turned the amps down or lowered crossover input/output levels.  "Running in the red" became acceptable.

To this day it continues but digital mixers typically reference DBFS, where "0 DB" is, in fact, Full Tilt Boogie and represents a level around +20dBu or more.  I think this is the model of operation JBL is anticipating.  It's about having a product that won't blow up when the purchaser or user hits it Really F'ing Hard.  By requiring software and networking JBL has a "competence filter" that helps eliminates the lesser-qualified folk from messing with settings they are not qualified to change.  Like any form of idiot proofing there will be determined and better idiots coming along but for now it takes a bit of thought (why & how) to alter the factory plans.

This is what I believe as well. I recently did more testing and even played around in the deep parameters only to find there is not much more to get than what has already been identified. You can turn the channels of the amp up or down ( the low drivers or the compression driver ) and there is another parameter that allows you to get +26db of gain for each channel. The downside is that the clip light for the amp still lights up. The clip light is triggered by peak levels and the limit meter lets us know that we are in fact limiting. There is multiple levels of limiting in the speaker though. There is input, main DSP and amp limiting all going on at once when pushed. I have still yet to see what I believe is the amps limiter light up yet. In the AA software there is a limit light that is always green, I have monitored the temperature of the amp and it stays relatively cool and even when pushed stays close to nominal.

The input metering of the speaker is in dbu and when you see the input clip it is saying that you have sent it +21dbu ( I believe that is its max input ? ). The rest of the metering is in dbfs and has no relation to db. I believe most engineers prefer to have the desired mixed volume of their show right around unity level on the mixers master meter. I do not like mixing close to the red, but it does give a good indication of what is left. The speakers ( SRX 800 series )  input to output ratio is pretty linear in that right about the time the input clips, the output will be also. The input clips when you send it +21dbu so it takes a pretty good amount of level, but will have many mixers at the end of their rope. A cheap Mackie is only capable of about +18dbu before it's clipping. Conversely a higher end Midas, or Avid clips around +26-28dbu. So the SRX line is set to work right in the middle of all that.

I have tried using a Y on the inputs and yes it does add about 3db, but has no more gain than that. I suggest for simplicity, that if you don't want to run any software, to simply turn the master up on the speaker until you get the level you desire. Using a Y means that you have to have one more link in the chain to fail and you have to be sure you set both the inputs to teh same level. The master level allows up to 12db of gain and I found that this is as much as is needed to get the SPL most will ever need. The " Make Up Gain " trick allows a couple more db before the slip light goes on for a total of about +14 - +16db of gain, but I have since lowered it down to +10db. This seems to give me the same +10db of gain as using the master, but with a couple more db of headroom left in comparison. I have yet to factually test that though.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.