ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Treatment Advice for Chapel  (Read 6563 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Treatment Advice for Chapel
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »

Thanks for everybody's input. Just to give a little more information...

I have no desire or even think it's feasible to make the room "dead", just want it a little deader. In fact, if I went too far, some of the other stuff that goes on in that room would suffer, like the un-amplified children's choir concerts... The room was renovated a few years ago, and I'm certain no thought was put into the acoustics of the space, only the aesthetics. I really just want to do something that probably should have been done when the room was renovated.

The college group that meets in there is starting to use a full band, and the liveness of the room has become a real challenge. A drummer can use brushes and play very lightly, but as soon as a cymbal is struck that's about all you can hear. With all the hard surfaces, it's hardly a surprise. I was asked about getting a drum shield for the room, but I know that will do little to fix the actual problem.

The DIY solution I'm currently considering will use 3" panels set off of the wall about an inch, with Owens Corning 703 or something similar, so I'm definitely looking at a more broadband solution than 1" panels.

As I was writing this I see someone said they've never seen DIY panels that do any good, so... I don't really see how just the fact that it's DIY would make it less effective, when it's the same materials that are used in commercial products.

I'll rephrase...I haven't seen any DYI panel that works as well as a Perdue panel. (No I'm not a Perdue salesperson. Just had really good success with their products)

The Perdue panels are not made from standard off the shelf commercial materials. That's why they work so well. It may say rock wool, but the manufacturing process they use is not something you can duplicate yourself.

The problem with DYI panels is you don't have any idea of what it will be like until it's done. There is virtually no way to know what the final NRC rating will be.  You are just rolling the dice.

A good quality engineered panel with a known NRC value will often times cost less overall because you need fewer panels. Their EconoWedge panels are less expensive than you may think.

At least 3 of the scrolling pictures on their website are from jobs we did.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:05:31 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »

It is easy to have good congregational singing in a dead room.

But that will add a couple of "zeros" to the budget-so that is not for everybody.

If it was "easy" it would be common and not add a couple of "zeros" to the budget.   :)  No doubt the designers have invested a lot of effort in the design concepts.
Steve Swaffer

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »

The DIY solution I'm currently considering will use 3" panels set off of the wall about an inch, with Owens Corning 703 or something similar, so I'm definitely looking at a more broadband solution than 1" panels.

As I was writing this I see someone said they've never seen DIY panels that do any good, so... I don't really see how just the fact that it's DIY would make it less effective, when it's the same materials that are used in commercial products.
MAKE SURE you use FIRE retardant coverings.  Or be willing to accept the liability if something should arrise in that area.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »

If it was "easy" it would be common and not add a couple of "zeros" to the budget.   :)  No doubt the designers have invested a lot of effort in the design concepts.
There is a good bit of direct costs (speakers, amplifier channels, processing channels, low noise mics. low noise mic pres-lots of speaker wire-and installation time) involved in these systems.

There are several different approaches to "acoustical enhancement".  THey each have their own set of advantages and disadvantages and are not all the some.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »

Ivans acessment is correct
your space could be done by a company ,but
 My prevoius church and i have built and installed diy panels 2" in the 2 gymnasiums/multipurpose rooms with excellent results.
   703 series fiberglass panels do not know whos "manufacturing" them.
The quality of the build and panel covering and application  is the key. fire retardant treatment is required. it can be purchased at amazon
and there are endless suppliers of the materials needed.

some informative reading and plans
http://ethanwiner.com/BTPlans.gif
http://ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:24:47 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »

Ivans acessment is correct
your space could be done by a company ,but
 My prevoius church and i have built and installed diy panels 2" in the 2 gymnasiums/multipurpose rooms with excellent results.
The quality of the build and panel covering and application  is the key. fire retardant treatment is required. it can be purchased at amazon

some informative reading and plans
http://ethanwiner.com/BTPlans.gif
http://ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

With DYI panels you'll never know what you're missing vs. a "real" panel spec'd and installed by someone who does it professionally.

DYI "may" do some good, but they will never be as good as a real panel. I have seen many times where DYI ends up costing more.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

But can you provide certification of the fire retardant qualities of your DIY panels?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »

ck the specs at amazon on the spray and of course with your local fire inspector.
but yes ours did pass fire inspection.
the fabric can be bought pretreated also with the strip attached

"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.