ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 01v96 users, what effects do you use on male vocals?  (Read 3782 times)

Richard Wong

01v96 users, what effects do you use on male vocals?
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »

Just wondering what effects you use on male vocals. I have an 01v96 vcm, so it had some extra Yamaha reverbs/compressors, etc

TIA

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: 01v96 users, what effects do you use on male vocals?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »

Just wondering what effects you use on male vocals. I have an 01v96 vcm, so it had some extra Yamaha reverbs/compressors, etc

TIA

Depends what male, and what you want to achieve.

To me that's the back ass way to go about learning.  You need to learn each effect and then apply it artistically to each instrument and vocal as you the sound engineer see fit.  It's easy to over do effects.

You basic arsenal is a "room" reverb that provides ambiance, plate reverb, a straight delay and a 3 tap delay.

With these effects the combinations and tweaking of the settings provides and almost innumerable and overwhelming set of choices.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Richard Wong

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

Depends what male, and what you want to achieve.

To me that's the back ass way to go about learning.  You need to learn each effect and then apply it artistically to each instrument and vocal as you the sound engineer see fit.  It's easy to over do effects.

You basic arsenal is a "room" reverb that provides ambiance, plate reverb, a straight delay and a 3 tap delay.

With these effects the combinations and tweaking of the settings provides and almost innumerable and overwhelming set of choices.

I am trying to fatten up our vocals, possibly without it being too noticeable.

I've used some detune/pitch shifting effects in the past while recording, but it seems to get lost during live shows.

at the moment, I have a pretty full plate with a gig coming up in 2  days and me still learning the mixer on a basic level.

on a side note:  outside of solving all my cabling issues, getting inputs paired/ routed,  routing for 4 monitor mixes thru the Omni outs, 4 effects channels ready to go and more, I'm slowly getting to know the basics of the board.

I thought that if I asked here, that someone might suggest a combination of effects that would work for the immediate future.

thanks

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »

I am trying to fatten up our vocals, possibly without it being too noticeable.

I've used some detune/pitch shifting effects in the past while recording, but it seems to get lost during live shows.

at the moment, I have a pretty full plate with a gig coming up in 2  days and me still learning the mixer on a basic level.

on a side note:  outside of solving all my cabling issues, getting inputs paired/ routed,  routing for 4 monitor mixes thru the Omni outs, 4 effects channels ready to go and more, I'm slowly getting to know the basics of the board.

I thought that if I asked here, that someone might suggest a combination of effects that would work for the immediate future.

thanks

I think you'd be better off trying to match the effect to the song (recording). But a basic 100ms slapback echo is commonly used - subtle in the mix will fatten, more up front youll get a 80s or Rockabilly effect. Always some reverb, 2sec tail, do not over use, but just so you can barely hear it, unless your doing slow songs or 60s Jefferson Airplane stuff. Then finally a 240ms repeating echo, there's no tap-tempo in the V96, so youll have to pick a feedback rate and go with it.

They key to all of this is to bringing the effects back through a fader (3 of them actually), Faders 14 15 16 for slap, verb, echo.  You could add another for drum verb, but youd use all the eff slots for effects. I like to use one slot for the stereo analog comp for vocals.

By having them on a fader you can dial in the amount, and rid ethe fader when you need more of it, like with repeating echos.

Program a softkey to mute the effects too, youll find this very helpful, i think.

Mike

Richard Wong

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »

I think you'd be better off trying to match the effect to the song (recording). But a basic 100ms slapback echo is commonly used - subtle in the mix will fatten, more up front youll get a 80s or Rockabilly effect. Always some reverb, 2sec tail, do not over use, but just so you can barely hear it, unless your doing slow songs or 60s Jefferson Airplane stuff. Then finally a 240ms repeating echo, there's no tap-tempo in the V96, so youll have to pick a feedback rate and go with it.

They key to all of this is to bringing the effects back through a fader (3 of them actually), Faders 14 15 16 for slap, verb, echo.  You could add another for drum verb, but youd use all the eff slots for effects. I like to use one slot for the stereo analog comp for vocals.

By having them on a fader you can dial in the amount, and rid ethe fader when you need more of it, like with repeating echos.

Program a softkey to mute the effects too, youll find this very helpful, i think.

Mike

at the moment, I am  using aux 1-4 for the 4 effects engines. Is that not the same as what you are suggesting?

I am a user defined key to mute the effects

thanks for the response

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

I just upgraded to the QL1 about a year ago. Was using the o1v96i for several years.

I used aux 1-4 for monitors. Returned the effects though faders 29-32 on layer 2. Found it was less confusing to have the aux match the monitor mix. By default the effects come back to the stereo mixes. That was the first thing I changed.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »

at the moment, I am  using aux 1-4 for the 4 effects engines. Is that not the same as what you are suggesting?

I am a user defined key to mute the effects

thanks for the response

Use aux 4-8 for effect sends, control (map) those stereo returns to faders 14-16.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »

Then finally a 240ms repeating echo, there's no tap-tempo in the V96, so youll have to pick a feedback rate and go with it.
Thankfully there is a tap-tempo on the 96.  Unfortunately, it can't be mapped to a softkey, so you have to bring up the FX parameters screen every time you use it, but it still does the job.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »

The "Reverb/Chorus" is not too bad. There is two of them in the factory list. I think its the 2nd one or higher numbered one that has less "ping" sound to it. Also go to your Aux master that is feeding this effect and put on a low pass. Start at 8,000hz and bring it down to to taste.  There is a lot of brightness in some of those effects.

Douglas R. Allen

Richard Wong

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »

Thank you everyone for he responses. I really appreciate the effort that you've all made

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.