ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Console Output PatchBay  (Read 1193 times)

Taylor Gonzalez

Monitor Console Output PatchBay
« on: October 26, 2015, 06:38:26 pm »

Hello,

The console being used for monitors in a permanent install situation has 16 outputs. I have 8 channels of stereo IEMs (16 outputs) and 6 channels of wedges. I can't have all them plugged in at one time and just soft-patch. I need to make a patchbay where I can take the 16 outputs of the console and patch any combination of the IEMs and Wedges.

What type of patch bay would I need to accomplish this?
I am having trouble wrapping my head around all the patchbay terminology  :o
Thanks in advance for any insight!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Monitor Console Output PatchBay
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:13:40 pm »

Hello,

The console being used for monitors in a permanent install situation has 16 outputs. I have 8 channels of stereo IEMs (16 outputs) and 6 channels of wedges. I can't have all them plugged in at one time and just soft-patch. I need to make a patchbay where I can take the 16 outputs of the console and patch any combination of the IEMs and Wedges.

What type of patch bay would I need to accomplish this?
I am having trouble wrapping my head around all the patchbay terminology  :o
Thanks in advance for any insight!

Why not just patch the inputs of both systems, using 1-16 for IEMs and 11-16 for wedges. Every channel of wedges you need to use means a channel of IEM you can't use. Just use the appropriate number of each.

Mac

Joe Larsen

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:52 pm »

Mac's approach is certainly the simplest.

If you are married to the patchbay approach the console outputs patch to the top row on the back and the IEM inputs patched to the bottom row on the back. With nothing patched to the front you will have console output 1-16 to IEM input 1-16. Then you can patch your wedge inputs to the top row on the front to access that console output.

If your patch bay is normalled then connecting the wedge input to the console out on the front will disconnect the IEM. If its half normalled the signal will still go to both the IEM channel and the wedge. With either of them you can patch a line into the front bottom to access that IEM channel discreetly.

Hope that helps.
Longwave Audiovisual Productions
Pittsbugh, PA
AV System Design, Installation, and Service
www.longwaveav.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:52 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.