ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Directional wifi antennas  (Read 9100 times)

Jason Lavoie

Re: Directional wifi antennas
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »

Every 6dB of antenna gain doubles your range, as long as you are on axis.  Improved reception in one direction is at the expense of reduced reception n other directions.

Antenna gain specs are like speaker specs.  Don't believe everything you read.

The reason I brought this up is that more often than not my setup is in a corner or at the end of a building and I only care about coverage in one direction.

Often my rack is in the same closet as the network equipment and I can connect to their unused jacks and move my router from place to place in the building, but that gets tedious if I'm going back and forth at all, or I have to bring multiple routers. then remember where I left them all.

Also, I'm thinking I might be able to get away with something like an Airport Express for local coverage in all directions and then add a directional (or two) that I can point at the trouble spot(s).
These ubiquiti units (with mimo elements) seem a whole lot more portable than external directional antennas too.

Jason

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »

Yeah I wasn't interested in trying to find a place for crazy antennas on a festival stage. This little guy is about a foot tall and a couple inches deep. I can gaff it to a mic stand on the downstage edge and have plenty of range to reach FOH and well beyond.

I'm using it with a regular linksys/cisco router which also has a 2.4g network in it so my older gear can connect closer to the stage. My FOH clients all are on the 5g network of the ubiquiti.

How well does the 5g version go through walls?
I was thinking of sticking to 2.4 since I don't need much throughput and the consensus is that 2.4 should have better range indoors.

Jason

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »

A directional antenna is not going to significantly improve penetration.  Frequency is far more important.

Directional antennas provide better interference rejection and improved range on line of site paths. 

If you don't have line of sight you don't have reliability.

Just like one speaker doesn't have better throw than another.  Directional antennas (the yagi and log periodic popular in WiFi applications).  Gain in one lobe (gain is plotted in one dimension as a polar share looking down on the antenna)  is achieved by attenuating it in another.  Omni antenna can get 3 or 4db of gain by squeezing the vertical pattern (like slapping a donut) but then the little ball at the end of the antenna gets very critical.  If accidently removed all the RF will come out the top of the antenna.

The corellary in audio is the HF horn that increases output by concentrating the direction of the sound.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »

How well does the 5g version go through walls?
I was thinking of sticking to 2.4 since I don't need much throughput and the consensus is that 2.4 should have better range indoors.

Jason

Hi Jason,

5GHz is more attenuated by walls than 2.4Ghz. The reason why I went with 5Ghz for us is that 2.4GHz is far more crowded between venue Access Points and cell phones. Our Ubiquiti Bullet M5 (5GHz) has been rock solid - we really never have to worry. At a fair when I first brought it in, we tested from over 600 feet away and the connection was great.

I've shut off the 2.4GHz & 5GHz radios in our router and just use the Ubiquiti for an Access Point.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »

I haven't done any real tests of the penetration, but I have seen a few times where the network goes through an outer wall of a club and through the metal skin of our bus and I can get enough signal to control the pa.

This happens when the bus is parked in the coverage area of the antenna and not terribly far away. Maybe under 200'.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »

I get excellent high gain directional performance on 2.4GHz 802.11 networks when using these: http://www.wa5vjb.com/pcb-pdfs/QuadPatch2400.pdf

You can buy them directly from Kent Electronics or from his son on eBay.  You'll need to add your own coax (a few feet of RG142 or LMR195 is perfect) with a very simple solder joint at the antenna and an appropriate connector (usually an RP-SMA).  I also did a quick spray of Ace Hardware flat black lacquer for a very durable finish.

Jason Glass
Clean Wireless Audio LLC

Sent from my mobile phone.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »

I didn't mention earlier, but my 5ghz wap is mounted on a mic stand that also holds one of my ULXD receive antenna. I haven't noticed any problem. I set the mic stand on the downstage edge and point the wap at FOH.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.