ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha 01V  (Read 2708 times)

Mike Klassen

Yamaha 01V
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »

Well, My Imac has packed it in, I used it with a Digi 003 rack + with great results, I have a small basement studio/jamspace, that had become unusable due to the Imac dying... I'm financially unable to buy another computer right now, so I started looking for a simple mixer, so we could at least get some jamming in.

I have a set of electric drums, Bass guitars, electric guitars, amps, microphones, a huge overkill PA system, etc.. I needed at least 8 inputs, and a few outputs, mains/monitors.

So, I started the Craigslist search, as I'm too cheap to buy new... there was the usual Mackies, Peaveys, that seemed to be way overpriced, for 20 year old mixers.

Weeks went by, searching everyday, finally, a listing came up for a Yamaha 01V, not the 96. He was offering it for sale or trade. I won't bore you with the details, but I managed to trade him some stuff.

I read the manual over and over until I got the gist of how it operates. I have to say, I absolutely love it! It works perfect for what I'm using it for, Preamps are decent, converters are decent, effects are a great bonus.

It didn't come with any of the digital option cards, but now I'm thinking that I might go with the MY16-mLan, firewire card. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions, good or bad, about this I'd love to hear!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Yamaha 01V
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »

You'll need to change your username to your real name as was spelled out in the instructions when you registered, and this post should probably be in the lounge, not product reviews, but I'll leave that to the Moderators.

Once you've fixed those things, I can tell you a lot about mLAN.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mike Klassen

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:15 PM »

Sorry about that. Please share your knowledge!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »

It has been a few years since I have messed with the 01V.

But if I remember correctly, the card options and routing were VERY limited.

The 96 version has MUCH more flexibility in that regard.

I would check into this before you spend any money on a card.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »

I have 2 mLAN card, long since retired. I used to use them in a PM5D to allow me to multitrack 32 channels of audio to/from DAW software.
Worked fine in WindowsXP, but unfortunately, Yamaha dropped all support for it and orphaned the product.
It had issues with it being VERY particular about what chipset the firewire card in your PC was using and they never brought out an x64 version of the driver, or one that was fully compatible with Win7 or later.
Since then, Dante has come on the scene and with DVS it makes things much easier.

I guess the first question is, what were you thinking of using the mLAN card for?
-Andy

Mike Klassen

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »

I have 2 mLAN card, long since retired. I used to use them in a PM5D to allow me to multitrack 32 channels of audio to/from DAW software.
Worked fine in WindowsXP, but unfortunately, Yamaha dropped all support for it and orphaned the product.
It had issues with it being VERY particular about what chipset the firewire card in your PC was using and they never brought out an x64 version of the driver, or one that was fully compatible with Win7 or later.
Since then, Dante has come on the scene and with DVS it makes things much easier.

I guess the first question is, what were you thinking of using the mLAN card for?

I had thought I could just firewire the mixer in to my mac and at least be able to get 8 channels into my DAW.
But as you have pointed out, chipset might be an issue. Yamaha still has drivers for my OSX, but the firmware of the mixer has to be V1.0.6.
A Host cable is also required for the firmware update.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »

Looking at the Yamaha site, it seems like the MY8-mLAN needs the software update, but there's nothing mentioned about the MY16-mLAN, so that might work.
What version of Firmware is on your 01V?
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.