ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two foot lengths of Cat5e with ethercon ends for rack patching  (Read 5129 times)

Jason Lavoie

Re: Two foot lengths of Cat5e with ethercon ends for rack patching
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 08:45:56 am »

Scott & Tim,

Yes, correct: I'm patching in one rack, AES50 between 2 M32Cs and 1 DL32.

Thanks for the insight. I'll let you know what my experiences are when I test more in depth.

I appreciate the help!

Best regards,
Bob

That makes even less sense why you'd bother with ethercons

Jason

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 09:11:22 am »

That makes even less sense why you'd bother with ethercons

Jason

Jason, you didn't follow the ESD issue regarding X32, did you?  You might want to follow the link Bob provided elsewhere to find out why shielded CAT5e with Ethercon is required.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 11:16:32 am »

Jason, you didn't follow the ESD issue regarding X32, did you?  You might want to follow the link Bob provided elsewhere to find out why shielded CAT5e with Ethercon is required.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for pointing that out. :-)

Jason, I know it certainly seems counter-intuitive, but, Music Group specified the shielded CAT5e with Ethercon after some unfortunate results in the field. I'm really not just burning a hole in my pocket to use more expensive cables with Ethercon ends - I'm trying to ensure that my system, when deployed is trouble free.

The short cable AUI effect that Scott mentioned is next on my list for some learning...

Best regards,
Bob

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 05:36:16 pm »

Short runs of Ethernet do not have enough reflective damping properties (perhaps capacitance) and the two powerful transceivers (AUI) signals will beat (heterodyne) against each other and can cause bit errors.  Basically, like an antenna a short cable is a bad batch for the output.

Twisted pair Ethernet (10Base-T Ethernet, 100Base-T Fast Ethernet, and 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet) do not use bidirectional signals. With 10 and 100, there are separate transmit and receive pairs. So reflections from the output cannot confuse the input of the same device.

However, because a short cable has little attenuation, it may still be possible to have reflection issues that cause problems with poor quality endpoints. Better-quality endpoints are better able to deal with those issue.

I suspect much of the concern of having too-short cables stems from the days of coax networking (10Base-2) where a duplex signal was present on a single conductor, so a too-short cable *could* result in reflections that cause the adapter to think it's receiving a signal that it's actually sending.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »

Yes, CSMD topology is much more susceptible to incident paths.

You know you can get shielded rj45 cables for a long less than an Ethercon?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:29 am »

I just skimmed through it, but I'm still not clear why the ethercon shell matters unless some bonehead designer grounded the shell but not the RJ45 shield?

Jason

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 09:03:06 am »

I just skimmed through it, but I'm still not clear why the ethercon shell matters unless some bonehead designer grounded the shell but not the RJ45 shield?

Jason
It requires both, for whatever reason.  That we think it should be otherwise doesn't solve the ESD problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 09:03:06 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.