ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Need decent subs for Community SLS960.  (Read 15428 times)

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
Re: Need decent subs for Community SLS960.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 06:45:11 pm »

One SRX835P will probably give me similar performance to two JBL MP415 (1x15, passive) that I already have. My goal is to cut quantity of tops.

o_O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »

Ivan Beaver, I totally agree on "it depends" with regard to ratio of subs to tops needed. Let me rephrase my question then: how many of LS801p will be required to get roughly similar SPL as one LVF218, considering that they are bass reflex vs horn loaded?
The FIRST thing you need is a calibrated freq response measurement.

You CANNOT use the "simple numbers" of SPL.

It HAS to be tied to something. And without that "something" you don't have a starting place.

I don't have any experience with either product-so cannot offer any advice.

But without direct experience (such as side by side testing), accurate data is all you have to do on.

And simple 1 number specs often don't even begin to tell the whole (correct) story.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stan Chigintsev

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 07:40:42 pm »

JBL has made a (IMO) dumb decision to make the SRX800P series fairly low-gain, meaning that you need to send them a hotter signal than most speakers.  This does not mean they don't have the power of other boxes, just that you need to send them more level.  Anyone who says they are in any way comparable to the JRX garbage has not run the SRX800 series correctly.

I own the SRX812P boxes and they make A LOT of noise.

I'm done trying to talk you out of the SLS boxes.  I don't believe they are the right choice for what you're trying to do, and I think they're a false economy when you consider the entire situation including logistics.  Maybe I'm wrong - you can report back in a year and let us know how you're getting on with them.

TJ (Tom) Cornish,

I appreciate your advices. I haven't settle for SLS960 yet but leaning more towards them and the leading decision is, unfortunately, driven by money in my case. Sound quality goes second, followed by logistics. It would be ideal for us to get SRX835 or STX825 for most of small gigs but still use SLS960 for bigger ones. Just because I don't want to stack many tops, this is not a right thing to do unless absolutely necessary.

Mike Pyle, Yorkville LS1208 has good SPL (on paper at least) and price is right. But it's very heavy for a single 18 (182 lbs!)! I would need to stack one LS1208 on top another but each box weighs almost as much as a dual 18. I would go that route only if there would be no other alternatives. Or, maybe I'm wrong?? Is it doable to stack them plus SLS960 versus a single 18 plus SLS960? What do you think?

LS801p is 137 lbs. I wonder how LS801p compares with LS1208 as far as output.

Tim Weaver,
  We're getting close - thanks! I'm reading specs all day long.... Aaggghhh.. makes my head spin. JBL SRX4719 is heavier than SRX728 (195 vs 166 lbs) which is a minus, but much more efficient. It doesn't make sense to combine super efficient top with super power hungry subs. So for now SRX4719 looks as a best option. I wonder how one 4719 compares with two LS801s as far as output, subjectively.

don mcmeckan

• Vancouver Island B.C.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 09:06:55 pm »

TJ (Tom) Cornish,

I appreciate your advices. I haven't settle for SLS960 yet but leaning more towards them and the leading decision is, unfortunately, driven by money in my case. Sound quality goes second, followed by logistics. It would be ideal for us to get SRX835 or STX825 for most of small gigs but still use SLS960 for bigger ones. Just because I don't want to stack many tops, this is not a right thing to do unless absolutely necessary.

Mike Pyle, Yorkville LS1208 has good SPL (on paper at least) and price is right. But it's very heavy for a single 18 (182 lbs!)! I would need to stack one LS1208 on top another but each box weighs almost as much as a dual 18. I would go that route only if there would be no other alternatives. Or, maybe I'm wrong?? Is it doable to stack them plus SLS960 versus a single 18 plus SLS960? What do you think?

LS801p is 137 lbs. I wonder how LS801p compares with LS1208 as far as output.

Tim Weaver,
  We're getting close - thanks! I'm reading specs all day long.... Aaggghhh.. makes my head spin. JBL SRX4719 is heavier than SRX728 (195 vs 166 lbs) which is a minus, but much more efficient. It doesn't make sense to combine super efficient top with super power hungry subs. So for now SRX4719 looks as a best option. I wonder how one 4719 compares with two LS801s as far as output, subjectively.

Hi Stan, I've done @ 250 shows with Community RS 660 ( the precursor to SLS 960 ), and the Yorkville LS 1208. One top to one sub, either two of each per side or just one.

I'm powering them with Yorkville 4020 for 660's and Crown XS 1200 bridged for each sub. It's an absolutely brilliant rig for the money.

I'm using an Ashly DSP, just 2-way.

I sold the eight  1208's to a friend to use as sub for his six Meyer MSL 4.

He's also used the 1208's under his Turbo Flash rig ( 12 Flash and 8 Turbo 21's ).

Right now I'm using 4 of the Yorkville 21" subs under my RS 660's, also fantastic
( for the money spent! )

Thanks,      Don

Stan Chigintsev

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 11:27:23 pm »

Hi Stan, I've done @ 250 shows with Community RS 660 ( the precursor to SLS 960 ), and the Yorkville LS 1208. One top to one sub, either two of each per side or just one.

I'm powering them with Yorkville 4020 for 660's and Crown XS 1200 bridged for each sub. It's an absolutely brilliant rig for the money.

I'm using an Ashly DSP, just 2-way.

I sold the eight  1208's to a friend to use as sub for his six Meyer MSL 4.

He's also used the 1208's under his Turbo Flash rig ( 12 Flash and 8 Turbo 21's ).

Right now I'm using 4 of the Yorkville 21" subs under my RS 660's, also fantastic
( for the money spent! )

Thanks,      Don

Don, this is priceless Info you're providing right there.

-How many of Yorkville 21" subs per SLS960/RS660 are you using? Is it LS2100P?

-How do they compare with LS1208?

-Many people prefer more than one dual 18 per each SLS960/RS660 So, in your experience one LS1208 per SLS960 is enough? For what kind of music? Did you find no need for a low-mid (base) cab?

-You've upgraded to heavier subs in favor of performance? Huge gain in it?

- Do you have any idea on how LS801 would compare to either LS2100P or LS1208 in couple with SLS960?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:43:37 am by Stan Chigintsev »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 11:58:11 pm »

SPL specs, especially outside of varsity level equipment, are pretty much meaningless in practical application.  How much noise a box can make at 1kHz without breaking has tenuous connection to how loudly it can play music.  It's about how well the sound holds together at the boxes max output.  JRX are pretty much a mess at much more than half their spec.  MRX good for maybe 70% as long as you don't have too much HF going on.  Whereas modern good stuff like Yamaha DSR or the latest SRX8XX work right up against the clip lights.
Having done outdoor gigs with it, I would put my DSR112 over Cubosubs against your pile of JRX.  And it would sound clearer and be in the same ballpark in terms of loudness.  Step up to something like a good powered 15/6/2" 3way over a couple of good powered 18s and you get a bit more.  If you really need to kill a large audience, double that rig.

You must be getting a killer deal on the Communities to warrant buying them instead of current $1500 powered tops that have more useful patterns.  You mention buying a 2nd pair if the narrow pattern becomes an issue.  For that kind of money a pair of SRX835s over a pair of SRX828s can be had and you have a modern foolproof scaleable system.

Stan Chigintsev

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 12:36:29 am »

You must be getting a killer deal on the Communities to warrant buying them instead of current $1500 powered tops that have more useful patterns. 

Exaclty. For half price I will get double SPL of SRX835. Simple math. And yes, SLS960 is a quality cab.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:41:23 am by Stan Chigintsev »

Stan Chigintsev

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 02:48:25 am »

Don Mcmeckan, I'd appreciate if you could answer my questions 3 posts above!

We decided to get SRX835 (or a cheaper alternative) for small events. But for outdoors we will get SLS 960s. Are there any decent cheaper alternatives to SRX835? Must be active and pole mountable.

As for subs for SLS-960 I can't decide between Yorkville LS1208 and JTR Orbit Shifter. 1208 is very cheap ($600 used) but Orbit Shifter seems to have 3db higher continues SPL not only on paper but confirmed on other forums, but costs $1700. So for a price of one OS we can get three 1208s. Weight is same per either pox.
   However idea of having 2 boxes instead of 4 is very tempting because we will keep all equipment in a 12ft trailer.

Do you guys believe that 1 Orbit Shifter can deliver SPL compatible with 2 1208s? All these top brands sound good so I'm not much worried about details on how they sound, but I need highest SPL from a single sub. And it has to be suitable for rock, too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:57:15 am by Stan Chigintsev »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 03:01:02 am »

For primarily vocals on sticks the cheaper alternative would be a good 12" 2 way.  Yamaha DSR112 or JBL SRX812.  Add subs and you may not feel the need for more.  Another 3 way is the QSC KW153 which you might be able to find for less than the SRX835.

Stan Chigintsev

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 12:31:41 pm »

Yamaha DSR112 or JBL SRX812.  Add subs and you may not feel the need for more.

Thanks, will look for those. But by "you may not feel need for more" you're not saying these will cover on outdoor festival for, say 2,000 people, are you? I don't want to pile up tons of tiny cabs that are not designed for big jobs... done that already...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 12:31:41 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.