ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac setup  (Read 4786 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Mac setup
« on: October 20, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »

Transitioning to Macs, but one area of setup eludes me.  I am using a Scarlett 18i20.  From within Logics it is easy to map out IO.  However, the global system setting only give me the option of the Scarlett on input and on output-with no way to select a channel number.

Similarly, when using a pair of USB mics for recording, we have to create an an "aggregate" mic-but there is no indication sort of a mic check which channel we wind up on.

I know some people like the "it just works" mentality-but the problem is what do you do when (NOT if) it doesn't work?

I've always heard that Macs are better at media-but with a PC I could select my USB interface channels.  May I really don't need to-but I just feel like I am missing a piece of the puzzle.  Is there a setup menu/advanced configuration I am not finding?
Steve Swaffer

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
Re: Mac setup
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:17:21 AM »

Transitioning to Macs, but one area of setup eludes me.  I am using a Scarlett 18i20.  From within Logics it is easy to map out IO.  However, the global system setting only give me the option of the Scarlett on input and on output-with no way to select a channel number.

Similarly, when using a pair of USB mics for recording, we have to create an an "aggregate" mic-but there is no indication sort of a mic check which channel we wind up on.

I know some people like the "it just works" mentality-but the problem is what do you do when (NOT if) it doesn't work?

I've always heard that Macs are better at media-but with a PC I could select my USB interface channels.  May I really don't need to-but I just feel like I am missing a piece of the puzzle.  Is there a setup menu/advanced configuration I am not finding?

Audio Midi Setup in the utilities folder should allow you to set which channel the system uses as a main output.

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:35 AM »

When you say "Logics", are you referring to Logic 9 or X?

I/O channel selection is controlled on the channel strips. I'm not really sure how you're trying to do this right now.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:23:33 PM »

Logics ProX

Within Logics I can configure things just fine.  The system settings is where I don't see an option.  Not a huge deal, but my preference is to use channels 1-whatever for my mutiltrack playback and keep everything consistent.  Then i would use iTunes or whatever to play walk-in music, but I would like to use a different channel on the interface routed to a 2-track return intended for that purpose on the my GL3800.  Simple on a PC, but my hands apparently are tied on the Mac.
Steve Swaffer

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »

Logics ProX

Within Logics I can configure things just fine.  The system settings is where I don't see an option.  Not a huge deal, but my preference is to use channels 1-whatever for my mutiltrack playback and keep everything consistent.  Then i would use iTunes or whatever to play walk-in music, but I would like to use a different channel on the interface routed to a 2-track return intended for that purpose on the my GL3800.  Simple on a PC, but my hands apparently are tied on the Mac.

Once again, this time quoting the Scarlet manual: "For more detailed setup options
on a Mac, open Applications  >  Utilities  >  Audio  MIDI  Setup."
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:28:41 PM »

With a multitrack interface iTunes can only play out of outputs 1 and 2. If you really need to keep your other apps on channels 1 and 2 you can use the headphone out for iTunes. I run my walk in/out music on iTunes out of 1 and 2 and QLab out of 3, 4, 5, and 6, with VOs on 3 and 4, and play on music on 5 and 6. With CL and QL consoles I'd use Dante VSC, with other consoles my Roland OctaCapture.

Channel assignments don't happen at the system level, they happen at the app, and iTunes is the first 2 tracks only AFAIK.

Mac

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 03:12:25 AM »

With a multitrack interface iTunes can only play out of outputs 1 and 2. If you really need to keep your other apps on channels 1 and 2 you can use the headphone out for iTunes. I run my walk in/out music on iTunes out of 1 and 2 and QLab out of 3, 4, 5, and 6, with VOs on 3 and 4, and play on music on 5 and 6. With CL and QL consoles I'd use Dante VSC, with other consoles my Roland OctaCapture.

Channel assignments don't happen at the system level, they happen at the app, and iTunes is the first 2 tracks only AFAIK.

Mac
Sorry Mac, but this is not accurate.  You can get I tunes and any other system sounds to play out of any output.  You just have to set it in Audio Midi Setup.  I'm able to route to any output of my own scarlet as well as my soundcraft si expression with the USB-Madi card.  Qlab and Logic Pro X will do this routing right in them, but the rest happens with Audio Midi Setup.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 03:12:25 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.