ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub / LF enclosure for JBL 2226s ?  (Read 4739 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Sub / LF enclosure for JBL 2226s ?
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »

I have a stack of JBL 2226 frames in the corner of my shop and a need for more small subwoofers.  Does anyone have a sub design for single 15s boxes that would serve to supplement drum wedges and side fills on less than full tilt RnR stages?  I have the JBL enclosure guide for these drivers and I can meet my need to have a 22.5 x 30 " foot print by adjusting the dimensions to achieve the volume and vent size but I'm fishing for anyone's suggestions for better / faster / sweeter smelling boxes.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Sub / LF enclosure for JBL 2226s ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »

I have a stack of JBL 2226 frames in the corner of my shop and a need for more small subwoofers.  Does anyone have a sub design for single 15s boxes that would serve to supplement drum wedges and side fills on less than full tilt RnR stages?  I have the JBL enclosure guide for these drivers and I can meet my need to have a 22.5 x 30 " foot print by adjusting the dimensions to achieve the volume and vent size but I'm fishing for anyone's suggestions for better / faster / sweeter smelling boxes.
One hting you should consider when "sizing" things is the height for your sidefills and drum fills.  Depending on what full range cabinets you are using, you might want to make the subs taller or shorter.

You might want to put multiple drivers in each cabinet to get more output (if needed) and to get the impedance to where you can get the most out of your amps.

Of course there are a lot of "it depends" in y statements-not knowing what full range cabinets you are using-what impedance the drivers you have are and so forth.

I think those were available in 4-8 and 16 ohms.  So that could make a big difference on what you end up with.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »

Thanks for your reply Ivan, nice to get input from the resident guru  :D

My need of flexibility across a number of different applications is driving the single driver cabinet plan.  I have plenty of single and dual 18 subs on hand for those sorts of applications. For small corporate events and  for 'just a little more bottom' applications  in music shows an inventory of single 15s would be handy.  I am interested in your statement " I think those were available in 4-8 and 16 ohms.  So that could make a big difference on what you end up with. "  Leaving aside from amp loading what difference to enclosure design would the driver nominal impedance make?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »

I am interested in your statement " I think those were available in 4-8 and 16 ohms.  So that could make a big difference on what you end up with. "  Leaving aside from amp loading what difference to enclosure design would the driver nominal impedance make?
The impedance will not make a difference in the particular cabinet design-but rather the intended usage.

Let's say you need a tall cabinet to get the sidefills up in the air.

Something with a single 15 would not be tuned properly.Assuming a simple ported cabinet-but if you wanted to use an old JBL scoop design-that is a different matter.

But if you could use 2 or 3 woofers of a higher impedance and parallel them, then you might have a workable solution.

But if you have 4 ohm woofers, then putting 3 will present a problem to the amp-or even 2-if your sidefills are not stereo and you want ot run both cabinets off of the same amp.

THere are a lot of "particulars" that could easily change from one design to another.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frank Landay

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »

I have six JBL 2226 drivers that I re-coned to 4 ohms. I put them into six individual reflex boxes using an RCF design. The ports are tuned to 45Hz. I'm using old C Audio RA3001 amps to run them, an amp per pair. If I'm only using two per side, I use a Crown Macro Tech 3600 which gives loads of head room at 2 ohms. If I only needed one box per side, an RA4001 does the job with plenty of head room. Three boxes per side moves enough air for small to medium dance rooms. One or two for weddings or less dance orientated events. I guess if I'd had more money I would have re-coned the drivers in original 8 ohm variant and bought an amp capable of pushing at least 3k into 2.66 ohms. Still a very versatile little speaker, just don't expect sub bass performance you'd get from a folded horn.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber