ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADJ Dotz par - anyone seen or used?  (Read 3441 times)

Rick Powell

ADJ Dotz par - anyone seen or used?
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:22:23 PM »

http://www.americandj.eu/en/dotz-par.html

These look like the closest LED thing to an incandescent par (but with ability to have millions of colors) for relatively cheap.  COB technology, does it eliminate the pixelated look?  How many to light up a decent size stage?

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: ADJ Dotz par - anyone seen or used?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:31 PM »

I've got a few. Definitely no pixelation. The removable lens is nice, and coverage is very wide and smooth without it.

Color does go bad a bit at the edges, and like any other RGB there is the usual lack of a good amber range.

Other than that it seems to be a nicely built item.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »

I've installed a few and was quite pleased with the cost vs performance. Definitely not a "beam" fixture, but zero pixelation. As Milt said, the amber is lacking, and the white is also a bit funky, but a very good wash fixture.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »

I have 12 of them and they work quite nicely. They look good to stare into (I use them mainly to light musicians on stage from behind, so the audience looks into them) and they have a nice controlled and even beam with the included lens on. When shining a spot on a large surface the colors are a bit uneven at the edges - not too bad, but noticable. Not anything you'll notice on the beam itself through haze.

My main gripe with them is that the colors are not very saturated, compared to other LED products - I do feel they can make a pretty good yellow and orange which many LED lamps struggle with, but the primary red, green and blue are not very deep. You can also make a warm or cool white that looks ok to look into - but illuminating things with it (or people) is of course still not perfect as they are still narrow spectrum.

They have very nice dimmer curves that interpolate quite smoothly between the DMX levels for smooth fade in and outs. They are capable of dimming very smoothly all the way to zero. At the lowest level (each single color address = 1 AND master dimmer = 1) the individual elements light up so dimly you have look straight into the fixture while holding it up to your eye to see that it's lit. And even then it seems very steady and not flickering (to the naked eye at least - don't know about on camera).
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Richard Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »

for the price its a nice simple wash light have 4 pointed at a small stage attached to a simple 4 fader dmx controller, seems to be proving to be musician proof enough they get some lights going.

If you want nice crisp white or flesh tone ambers be prepared to spend more for something better.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.