ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical explosion at dam in Washington State injures six  (Read 6719 times)

Barry Singleton

Re: Electrical explosion at dam in Washington State injures six
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 01:24:50 PM »

The big one that jumps out to me is the ..."breaker was manually slow closed while energized with unit P08 in a stopped position,".

Having spent some time in the Pioneer Hydro plant in Northern Utah that began operation in 1897 I know for fact that after a gen shutdown for any reason, the gen is brought up to speed off line via throttled water flow, the field tickled enough to get measurable stator output voltage and then carefully brought into 3phase sync with the grid while watching a syncroscope and then, switched on line. At this point it will motor in sync with the grid.

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »

I have noticed that when a experienced coworker takes a employe aside and shares knowledge and some safety advice most of that advice is respected.  When the employe has to attend safety classes, and learn a thick manual full of boiler plate and employer protection, the employes built in BS detector goes off and he tends to ignore more then he should. 

It is interesting that the equipment at this station used to work and now it doesn't.  The investigation could look into why the place was safe and now isn't but they won't
Not to Code

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 07:42:42 PM »

I've found that where I work (heavy industry), in every situation the "root cause analysis" must find a person or process to blame in order to have a preventative action plan. This applies not only to safety incidents but any incident that causes down time. It leads to some interesting analysis results.  I'm not saying that was the case here, just pointing it out.

Once someone twisted their ankle while walking to their car and blamed it on the 1" piece of a tree branch that had fallen into the gravel parking lot. After that walkways were paved and we were instructed not to walk on gravel but stick to the paved pathways. A full safety write-up was done with detailed pictures of the offending tree branch.  We also have a Safe Job Procedure about how to safely enter and exit your personal vehicle. It's hilarious to read.

Edit: PS: I don't mean to make light of the situation at the dam at all. It does sound like they need some improvements in protocol and oversight.

Yup - I had an employee break a light bulb, a supervisor said, don't touch the glass without gloves (they were 30' away). He touched the glass anyway, cut his hand, and required 6 stitches. 

I was forced to a complete safety hazard assessment on my staff, where I was supposed to indie tidy every possible hazard and the safety plan to mitigate that hazard.   

Yay government!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 07:42:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.