ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX828p - at my wit's end!  (Read 29676 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: SRX828p - at my wit's end!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »

Debbie,
Not to rub it in but I have not purchased a JBL product that has been defective since I started with the product in 1964. That being said, and just being the devils advocate, it's not hard to knock out a "T" nut if accidently cross threaded or banged by the screw/bolt before starting the screw/bolt by hand.

You won't void the warranty if you replace the "T" nut or remove the driver, and honestly, this is the type of quick repair anyone in this business should be prepared to undertake at any time. Use the right size screw drivers and you'll be just fine.

And I'm with Tim. I use dolly board for everything. Easy to make and they can be used for other gear as well.

Bob, that's low to imply Debby might be to blame. You just cannot accept that JBL can do any wrong.

While I agree that in this business you should be prepared to repair things, you also have a right to products in good working order when you pay for new.

Debbie has 3 defective units in a row while JBL has her money for more than 2 months and thinks a tee shirt will make it right?

Yes, caster boards are great but JBL designed the sub to have the wheels attached.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 05:50:33 AM »

Just curious - from a manufacturing standpoint - did the loose t-nut have 0, 2, 3, 4 or 6 prongs on it?

Of the many dolly boards I've built (16 t-nuts/per) not one has fallen out during assembly, although I do bang the b'jesus out of them to make them "stick"....

I like dollies better than box mounted wheels, beside the obvious they can provide a bumper around the edges to actually protect the box.

Mike

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 06:47:58 AM »

Bob, that's low to imply Debby might be to blame. You just cannot accept that JBL can do any wrong.

While I agree that in this business you should be prepared to repair things, you also have a right to products in good working order when you pay for new.

Debbie has 3 defective units in a row while JBL has her money for more than 2 months and thinks a tee shirt will make it right?

Yes, caster boards are great but JBL designed the sub to have the wheels attached.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I didn't imply Debbie knowingly did anything wrong Rob. I implied that "T" nuts can be pushed out or fall out with little or no effort. "T" nuts are not designed to stay in place without being pulled into place by the force of the tightened screw or bolt. That is why the cabinets are shipped with the bolts in place. The use of "T" nuts in an enclosed space with no access is just poor design for this very reason Rob, implying JBL could use another fastener or fastening system for this purpose.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 07:08:53 AM »

Bob, I think you are in the fortunate minority with that. 

I recently ordered 4 PRX 712 wedges that showed up shrink wrapped together on a pallet.  The first thing I did after pulling them out of the box was power them up and stick a mic in front of them and measure them with SIM.  What did I find?  One of the LF sections of one of the boxes was bad.  Not just a little off, but anywhere from 6-12 dB down depending on how the controls were set, in comparison to its other 3 brethren.  And it wasn't subtle - I could hear it as soon as I plugged it in, before even walking back to the computer to verify.

At this point it's JBLs job to send me an advance replacement.  Could I have started swapping drivers and amp modules to figure out exactly where the culprit lies and just get the replacement part?  Sure, but that's not my job.  Had it failed later down the road I may have been more willing, but this box missed QC by a wide margin.  And since all 4 were shrink wrapped together on a pallet, I can't really say it's a shipping issue either.

I've yet to find a speaker company where something doesn't slip through QC from time to time.  Some companies are more frequent offenders than others, but nobody is perfect.  The important part is how they handle the response.  If it's something as simple as a T-nut, they should give Debby the go-ahead to fix it herself without warranty issue (and Debby, your dealer should back you up on this as you are saving everyone money and time by fixing it yourself).  If it's failed drivers, electronic or something structural (de-laminating cabinet, etc), she should get an advance replacement for the part or entire cabinet as necessary. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 08:00:06 AM »

I didn't imply Debbie knowingly did anything wrong Rob. I implied that "T" nuts can be pushed out or fall out with little or no effort. "T" nuts are not designed to stay in place without being pulled into place by the force of the tightened screw or bolt. That is why the cabinets are shipped with the bolts in place. The use of "T" nuts in an enclosed space with no access is just poor design for this very reason Rob, implying JBL could use another fastener or fastening system for this purpose.
I don't know where the tnuts in question are, but I imagine that they are shipped with the bolts in them for 2 reasons.

The first to prevent air from leaking out and whistling.  The second would be that the bolts simply help keep the tnuts from falling out during shipment, transportation.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 09:41:57 AM »

"T" nuts are not designed to stay in place without being pulled into place by the force of the tightened screw or bolt.

JBL is using regular philips screws on these, if they are relying on the torque of a philips screw to pull a t-nut into baltic birch, w/o pressing them in  - NO WONDER they are falling out.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »

Just curious - from a manufacturing standpoint - did the loose t-nut have 0, 2, 3, 4 or 6 prongs on it?

Of the many dolly boards I've built (16 t-nuts/per) not one has fallen out during assembly, although I do bang the b'jesus out of them to make them "stick"....

I like dollies better than box mounted wheels, beside the obvious they can provide a bumper around the edges to actually protect the box.

Mike

3 prong
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 10:17:07 AM »

Bolt and nut
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Pat Talbot

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »

JBL is using regular philips screws on these, if they are relying on the torque of a philips screw to pull a t-nut into baltic birch, w/o pressing them in  - NO WONDER they are falling out.

Yep...those should really be allen head or torx.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 11:38:05 AM »

Yep...those should really be allen head or torx.
...or an actual bolt.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 11:38:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.