ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX828p - at my wit's end!  (Read 29709 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: SRX828p - at my wit's end!
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »

This would obviously require accommodating access to the amp/dsp panel with a cutout, however does nothing for the loose nut and the overriding primary issue of factory QC which I read as the focus of this thread.
However, following this suggestion I would add perhaps consider a separate unattached dolly board that can serve multi-use for the sub and other equipment.

Yepper, the whole idea of the dolly board is to REMOVE IT after moving the sub.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 02:48:34 PM »

Don't worry.  IME you can operate fairly safely with a screw or two loose.

But my mechanic always reminds me that my problems stem from a "loose nut behind the wheel".

ha ha…. well in this case I have a loose nut behind the driver …..so there is a link!!

I just called my guy at Sam Ash - neither of us quite knew what to say  ???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »

I'm a big believer in caster boards/dollies.  I don't like having casters on the subs to rattle during the show and a dolly board allows me to decide about caster placement:  front, back, side, bottom.  The board can be strapped to the loudspeaker or held on by magnets (EAW did this).  Ratt and ShowCo used small butterfly case latches to hold the dollies to the front of their subs...

I made the dollies I use on my PRX subs ( If you remember, I started a thread on here about them).. they turned out great.
However, I liked the idea of things looking a bit neater with these as they already have the bolts installed ready to go (just like the SRX718's did), I figured I'd try it this way. My sub cover was made for this configuration so I can't really change to dollies at this point with out purchasing another cover and wasting the one I have.
Right about now, going the dolly route would have helped me out but I am still 3 subs in regardless….

BTW… my JBL contact told me he would send me a T shirt for all the inconvenience…helps me feel a bit better. He also said he would send my file to the QC department which if addressed correctly , should be of benefit ultimately to the consumer...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »

BTW… my JBL contact told me he would send me a T shirt for all the inconvenience…

Your kidding me right?  A T-shirt....Even McDonald's gives you a coupon for a whole meal if they forget your condiments. 

If they did that to me they would probably insult me and send one not my size (vendors never have fat guy sizes, it's a huge discrimination issue) then they could bitch about my belly hanging out and my cargo shorts.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »

I have few Harmon products. Actually, just 4 JBL wedges and a JBL studio monitor system.

I was thinking of getting a couple of new DBX DSPs.

The finish on the studio monitors failed into a sticky mess. JBL was no help there. This thread and a few others of late have soured me from buying anything Harmon again.

I hope someone from Harmon reads this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 07:05:30 PM »

Debbie, I hope you get your sub sorted out soon and JBL does better than a tee shirt for you. At this point I would be demanding my money back and finding another solution.

You are not me. Probably a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:08:16 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »

Your kidding me right?  A T-shirt....Even McDonald's gives you a coupon for a whole meal if they forget your condiments. 

If they did that to me they would probably insult me and send one not my size (vendors never have fat guy sizes, it's a huge discrimination issue) then they could bitch about my belly hanging out and my cargo shorts.

A referral to Omar the Tentmaker for ones wardrobe means swag is gonna be hard to come by, Scott. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »

A referral to Omar the Tentmaker for ones wardrobe means swag is gonna be hard to come by, Scott. ;)

I don't think I am quite up to that point.  I am 6'3" and 270lbs....Even when I was 220 and had 36" waist I still needed a 3x to clear my shoulders and give some tuck length.

I do realize that 90% of the population can fit into a S-XXL.  They buy on a bell curve and I understand that.

I still think Debbie deserves more than a t-shirt (no thread drift here)....
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:22 PM »

Debbie,
Not to rub it in but I have not purchased a JBL product that has been defective since I started with the product in 1964. That being said, and just being the devils advocate, it's not hard to knock out a "T" nut if accidently cross threaded or banged by the screw/bolt before starting the screw/bolt by hand.

You won't void the warranty if you replace the "T" nut or remove the driver, and honestly, this is the type of quick repair anyone in this business should be prepared to undertake at any time. Use the right size screw drivers and you'll be just fine.

And I'm with Tim. I use dolly board for everything. Easy to make and they can be used for other gear as well.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »

Debbie,
Not to rub it in but I have not purchased a JBL product that has been defective since I started with the product in 1964. That being said, and just being the devils advocate, it's not hard to knock out a "T" nut if accidently cross threaded or banged by the screw/bolt before starting the screw/bolt by hand.

You won't void the warranty if you replace the "T" nut or remove the driver, and honestly, this is the type of quick repair anyone in this business should be prepared to undertake at any time. Use the right size screw drivers and you'll be just fine.

And I'm with Tim. I use dolly board for everything. Easy to make and they can be used for other gear as well.

Ironically Bob, I attached the wheels to the first defective sub before I realized it didnt work. One of the T nuts was loose on that one too - as I unscrewed the bolt, it went round and round so I pulled on the bolt and removed it under tension so as to make sure the teeth held. Once I placed the wheel plate and replaced the bolt, I threaded it very slowly and carefully till it bit and held.

This time , I knew right away what had happened on this particular nut as it did exactly the same thing. However, with this one, even though I pulled on the nut to get the teeth to hold, as I gently removed the bolt from the thread, the nut just fell in. I was extremely careful, so it must have been very loose….No cross-threading, or banging involved….

I am quite happy to remove and replace the driver myself as I have done many times but I do not want to risk that warranty. I have asked tech support if I can remove the driver and I am still waiting for a response from them - I will call them again tomorrow just to be sure.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.