ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX828p - at my wit's end!  (Read 29678 times)

Kent Clasen

Re: SRX828p - at my wit's end!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »

Not to divert your thread, but I am curious:

I have a SRX828SP in our warehouse and the green light next to the power button stays on (green) regardless if power is on or off. Just curious if that is normal, the manual doesn't say.

Otherwise very compact 2x18" sub. I hope to A/B with 2x PRX718XLF soon...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »

Not to divert your thread, but I am curious:

I have a SRX828SP in our warehouse and the green light next to the power button stays on (green) regardless if power is on or off. Just curious if that is normal, the manual doesn't say.

Otherwise very compact 2x18" sub. I hope to A/B with 2x PRX718XLF soon...

Yes - quite normal.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 12:10:22 PM »

Every single new speaker I purchase gets the grill yanked, and every screw/bolt torqued (and the warrantee remains intact). I can't imagine removing/reinstalling a woofer would void the warrantee. Pulling the amp module might be a different story, though. Running with "the missing screw formation" could damage your cabinet. My recommendation is to fix the mount before installing the casters.

Yes Scott - I just spoke to Everett at JBL. He recommends I replace the cabinet. He said the same as you - that running with 3 screws could end in disaster at some point down the road.
He didn't mention whether removing the woofer would void the warranty and I forgot to ask. I might get back to him and ask directly. I'd rather do that than replace again quite frankly.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »

Now I feel bad for suggesting that you buy the SRX828p.  It begs the question: is it a string of bad luck or has JBL's quality gone down?  I'm hopeful you'll get this resolved soon and the sub exceeds your expectations.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »

Yes Scott - I just spoke to Everett at JBL. He recommends I replace the cabinet. He said the same as you - that running with 3 screws could end in disaster at some point down the road.
He didn't mention whether removing the woofer would void the warranty and I forgot to ask. I might get back to him and ask directly. I'd rather do that than replace again quite frankly.

Pulling a driver won't void the warranty to my knoweldge either.  Perhaps if you put a finger through it.

I have two bad woofers in PRX412M's so I sure hope they will let me send just the drivers back.  This will be my first JBL RMA experience.

If you do get it apart I use gorilla glue with T-nuts.  I also use a washed to spread the low and thread it in without the driver to bite the nut into the wood.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »

With simply removing the front grille, I managed to fish out the nut so its not floating around in there but it's impossible to put back into place without removing one of the woofers so I'm just going to go with 3 screws holding that one wheel on.
If Everett at JBL tells me I can remove the woofer without voiding my warranty, I will, but till then - I'll stick with what I have ……sorry for freaking out earlier but this is just ridiculous !!

Don't worry.  IME you can operate fairly safely with a screw or two loose.

But my mechanic always reminds me that my problems stem from a "loose nut behind the wheel".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »

why not bolt casters to 3/4 treated plywood paint black and attach to the cab ?
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »

I'm a big believer in caster boards/dollies.  I don't like having casters on the subs to rattle during the show and a dolly board allows me to decide about caster placement:  front, back, side, bottom.  The board can be strapped to the loudspeaker or held on by magnets (EAW did this).  Ratt and ShowCo used small butterfly case latches to hold the dollies to the front of their subs...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:37:10 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »

In the case of a squeaky clean, brand new cabinet with pre-installed (at least, MOST of them) attachments for casters, that shouldn't be necessary.  Also, with powered cabs, one has to be careful not to impact ventilation.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

James Paul

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »

This would obviously require accommodating access to the amp/dsp panel with a cutout, however does nothing for the loose nut and the overriding primary issue of factory QC which I read as the focus of this thread.
However, following this suggestion I would add perhaps consider a separate unattached dolly board that can serve multi-use for the sub and other equipment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 02:45:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.