ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX828p - at my wit's end!  (Read 29686 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: SRX828p - at my wit's end!
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »

I am quite happy to remove and replace the driver myself as I have done many times but I do not want to risk that warranty. I have asked tech support if I can remove the driver and I am still waiting for a response from them - I will call them again tomorrow just to be sure.

If you take out the driver and damage it in the process, you would void your warranty.  If you take it out and put it back in place with no visible markings, they will be none the wiser from a warranty standpoint.

Personally, something as trivial as a loose T-nut wouldn't have me waste the time and effort on a warranty claim.  Take out the screws, put the T-nut back in with a dab of epoxy so it stays put, and put the thing back together.

A t-nut without a screw holding it in place WILL shake loose no matter what.  Once your wheels are on, you won't have to worry about it.
Brian Jojade

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »

I think in the future I might make it a practice to torque down the factory screws before I remove them, just to be certain the T-nuts are seated fully. Maybe that wasn't tightened properly at first.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jay Marr

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »

Can't you get to that T-Nut by taking of the handle???
When I put wheels on my 728 sub, I drilled the holes and put T-Nuts in, simple by only removing the handles.
I don't have a 828 to look at, but I believe the form factor is similar enough.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »

Can't you get to that T-Nut by taking of the handle???
When I put wheels on my 728 sub, I drilled the holes and put T-Nuts in, simple by only removing the handles.
I don't have a 828 to look at, but I believe the form factor is similar enough.

That was the first thing I tried. The handle is in 2 pieces both screwed into the cab. When I removed all the screws and pulled on the handle, I almost shot across the room because the middle piece came away from the housing. Getting the housing out would have been difficult without causing gouge marks. I abandoned that route.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »

If you take out the driver and damage it in the process, you would void your warranty.  If you take it out and put it back in place with no visible markings, they will be none the wiser from a warranty standpoint.

Personally, something as trivial as a loose T-nut wouldn't have me waste the time and effort on a warranty claim.  Take out the screws, put the T-nut back in with a dab of epoxy so it stays put, and put the thing back together.

A t-nut without a screw holding it in place WILL shake loose no matter what.  Once your wheels are on, you won't have to worry about it.

I'm getting to that point- suddenly my guy at JBl has become a little elusive.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »

...or an actual bolt.

That's what I was thinking- the amount of torque needed to get these 'bolts' nice and tight could cause damage to the Philips head if not careful. I have been very careful and used a large screwdriver which fits snug but bolt heads would have been much nicer- could have used my sockets!!....... ( I really am quite the tomboy aren't I??)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »

That's what I was thinking- the amount of torque needed to get these 'bolts' nice and tight could cause damage to the Philips head if not careful. I have been very careful and used a large screwdriver which fits snug but bolt heads would have been much nicer- could have used my sockets!!....... ( I really am quite the tomboy aren't I??)

Phillips cross-head screws were designed to "cam-out" at high torque. Pozidriv cross-head screws are designed NOT to cam-out.  I agree that a Torx head or an ordinary hex head machine screw is easier to deal with. I change out funky screws as a standard practice.

Debbie, FWIW, you can get Phillips head drivers (in sizes) for your socket set.  Fly your tool freak flag proudly, sister!
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »

I don't think I have seen Philips head screws used in anything for many years now.  It's all Posidrive.

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »

At this point it's JBLs job to send me an advance replacement.  Could I have started swapping drivers and amp modules to figure out exactly where the culprit lies and just get the replacement part?  Sure, but that's not my job.  Had it failed later down the road I may have been more willing, but this box missed QC by a wide margin.  And since all 4 were shrink wrapped together on a pallet, I can't really say it's a shipping issue either.

I've yet to find a speaker company where something doesn't slip through QC from time to time.  Some companies are more frequent offenders than others, but nobody is perfect.  The important part is how they handle the response.  If it's something as simple as a T-nut, they should give Debby the go-ahead to fix it herself without warranty issue (and Debby, your dealer should back you up on this as you are saving everyone money and time by fixing it yourself).  If it's failed drivers, electronic or something structural (de-laminating cabinet, etc), she should get an advance replacement for the part or entire cabinet as necessary. 

I fully agree.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

I don't think I have seen Philips head screws used in anything for many years now.  It's all Posidrive.

Steve.

I've noticed that Steve when I go back to the UK…..Its still mainly Philips here.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.