ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you label your wireless Mics  (Read 14264 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: How do you label your wireless Mics
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »

Just like I label bottles in the chemistry lab, I would write directly on the mic with an appropriately colored sharpie and then cover it with a single piece of clear packing tape.

As needed it can be cleaned up with a cloth dampened with acetone or rubbing alcohol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:57:05 PM »

Thanks for your response. The label makes a sticky mess when I try to remove it. I typically only put the mic number since everyone knows what mic they are using. Didn't know if there was a certain kind of label tape that will last longer and not be such a mess to clean off.
If you want long lasting numbers, have you considered a trip to any sign shop to have some vinyl numbers cut?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

JohnCoxNC

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 12:02:52 AM »

I had 12 channels of Shure at my last church.  I used a label maker to print labels and like Monte I put a piece of clear shipping tape slightly larger than the label over it. It held up pretty well - much better than the label alone.  Shure also makes colored "rings" that make identifying the Mics much easier at a glance - especially from a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iLove Baptist Church Audio Team

Monte Anderson

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:18 AM »

I had 12 channels of Shure at my last church.  I used a label maker to print labels and like Monte I put a piece of clear shipping tape slightly larger than the label over it. It held up pretty well - much better than the label alone.  Shure also makes colored "rings" that make identifying the Mics much easier at a glance - especially from a distance.

Sounds like we used the exact same method. I just wanted to add that it's important to make sure there aren't any wrinkles in the packing tape. It only becomes an issue if folks are using mic stands with tight clips that can snag.

Also, if you have fewer than 5 mics, I've used a wrap of colored electrical tape around mics before. If you are careful, it looks fine. I've only seen the packages with 5 colors. I suppose you could use combinations of colors, but that would start to look a bit tacky.  I use that trick all the time when I mix P/W conferences where mics get passed around a lot. I also usually just use colored sharpies on tape below the channel faders because I generally don't know the names of all the people and it's quicker to grab a channel based on color.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 11:49:06 PM »

Sounds like we used the exact same method. I just wanted to add that it's important to make sure there aren't any wrinkles in the packing tape. It only becomes an issue if folks are using mic stands with tight clips that can snag.

Also, if you have fewer than 5 mics, I've used a wrap of colored electrical tape around mics before. If you are careful, it looks fine. I've only seen the packages with 5 colors. I suppose you could use combinations of colors, but that would start to look a bit tacky.  I use that trick all the time when I mix P/W conferences where mics get passed around a lot. I also usually just use colored sharpies on tape below the channel faders because I generally don't know the names of all the people and it's quicker to grab a channel based on color.

An electrical supply house or Amazon will have e-tape in lots of colors.

I have little plastic rings from Shure to mark 6 of my ULX hand helds. Outdoors, I put colored windscreens to match on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Geoffrey McKee

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Colors really don't help me much. I know who has what mic, But they need to be able to see which mic is number 7. Especially if they get put on the stands in the wrong order. 

I think I'll do the board tape, but put it above the screen area right on the capsule.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »

I normally do a ring of colored tape on the butt of the handheld. Today, it's board tape with kit numbers. It's for my convenience, not the end user's so I can label as I please.

Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Kent Thompson

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:33:26 PM »

The board tape will not last as long as other tapes but, it and gaff tape seem to leave the least residue for me.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »

Board tape will last a long time, just make sure to put a full wrap around the handle.  Once in a while it needs to be changed or the number refreshed.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 01:08:09 AM »

Use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Once they pick up their mic, they won't be able to put it down and grab the wrong one.   :P  :o  8)  ;)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 01:08:09 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.