ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Router wi-fi range?  (Read 16104 times)

Lyle Williams

Re: Travel Router wi-fi range?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »

Our outdoor APs weigh like, maybe 7kg with antennas.  Not the sort of thing I'd drag out to a show.  :-)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »

In our business, I don't understand why people use the AP Pro (or any other indoor-only rated AP). I highly recommend the Ubiquiti UniFi AP Outdoor products. There are plenty of liquid hazards in our business - even indoors.

I don't think I heard people using the AP Pro for live sound. I agree that I would use one of the outdoor units for live sound use.

The ones I have installed are indoors, mounted to ceilings, among the smoke detectors, track lights and such. Not much risk of weather damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 05:41:35 AM »

The airport express units are great for just doing short range stuff easily. They are easy to setup, are dual band, and have no external PSU, so all good.

If you want better, then the ubiquiti stuff is great. I'd stay away from the Unifi stuff though, as it has the most firmware bugs/issues and the software is better suited to sitewide deployments. I'd go for the Airmax stuff. Bullets are great and very simple, but have no MIMO. nanostations are a nice solution for longer range directional stuff.
Riedel Communications

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »

We spec Cisco Meraki when budgets allow. Can't beat remote access/management. I've never personally configured a Ubiquiti system but my guys hated it on the one project we used it on. Apple Airport is great for single AP installs. But my own personal 'demo/travel' router is a Cradlepoint MR95 simply because it allows for WAN over WiFi. I can turn on a hotspot on my phone/iPad and connect the Cradlepoint to it, then connect both wired AND wifi devices to the Cradlepoint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan Shields

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 10:11:57 AM »

Took my new $40 Apple Airport Express (eBay) out on three gigs this weekend, just using it between an iPad and a Soundcraft Expression. Half the size of the Linksys I had been using, no flimsy external antennas, no wall wart. Worked like a charm, got about 200ft away at an outdoor gig and was still happening. Now if I could just get rid of that white power cord ;-)
Thanks for all the good advice.

Now if you guys could only tell me how to deal with they guy who comes up in the middle of the first tune (10pc horn band) and tells me the horns are so loud he can't hear the rhythm section and so he can't dance...
Stan

James Cotton

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »

Our outdoor APs weigh like, maybe 7kg with antennas.  Not the sort of thing I'd drag out to a show.  :-)

After trying several different APs including Apple ones I went with the Ubiquiti Bullet M5 HP outdoor AP coupled with an Omni antenna following recommendation of this combination in several threads on this very forum.
The AP weighs 0.18kg (just over 6 ounces in Old English/American money) and the antenna adds very little.

The form factor is ideal for this job, fits in a mic clip on a stand and runs Power over Ethernet so a single cable with no AC mains required to the AP.

I did have to import the antenna from the East as I couldn't find one with the correct N connector in the UK but they are easily available in the US.

I wouldn't recommend the Unifi access points on form factor alone, they're designed to fit to a ceiling not be hauled around in the way we use them.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »

We spec Cisco Meraki when budgets allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was the first Meraki dealer in Ohio.  Huge fan.  Now that Cisco assimilated them the recurring cost structure is out of control IMHO.  Hence us now pitching Ubiquiti.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 02:40:27 AM »

The Bullet looks like an interesting solution, any use on the Picostation ?
https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/picostationm/

Thanks.
My RTA is always flat.

Stan Shields

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »

The Bullet looks like an interesting solution, any use on the Picostation ?
https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/picostationm/

Thanks.

Does the Soundcraft Expression provide the +24V to the ethernet connector?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »

Does the Soundcraft Expression provide the +24V to the ethernet connector?
Nope.  I can't think of anything not a specific PoE Ethernet switch (or in the olden days a midspan) that provides PoE.  The good news is that PoE switches are cheap.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.