ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Router wi-fi range?  (Read 16021 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Travel Router wi-fi range?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 03:03:44 AM »

another + on u ubiquity

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 03:46:24 AM »

Hello all! Thank you for this discussion, I am looking for a robust solution for our 3 desks, and one for me to carry in person. Naive with differences between various AP's, considering the good press that Ubiquiti is getting, and great pricing locally, I am asking advice on the following product.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Confused between the UAP-LR and UAP-PRO version, LR says longer range (183m), but only 2.4Ghz, Pro has standard range (122m) but is dual channel 5Ghz.

Our use mostly would be in crowded bars, sometimes outdoors where a 100+foot coverage would be appreciated. My personal use would often run large outdoor venues where 300feet connectivity would be welcome.

Thank you.
Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »

Hello all! Thank you for this discussion, I am looking for a robust solution for our 3 desks, and one for me to carry in person. Naive with differences between various AP's, considering the good press that Ubiquiti is getting, and great pricing locally, I am asking advice on the following product.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Confused between the UAP-LR and UAP-PRO version, LR says longer range (183m), but only 2.4Ghz, Pro has standard range (122m) but is dual channel 5Ghz.

Our use mostly would be in crowded bars, sometimes outdoors where a 100+foot coverage would be appreciated. My personal use would often run large outdoor venues where 300feet connectivity would be welcome.

Thank you.
Sidhu

I have the AP pro at home (2 units at opposite ends of the house) and am in the middle of a 9 unit (+ a couple of outdoor units) install at a client. I have 5 up and running and the coverage is great. Of course, in this case, there is a lot of duct work, piping, and structural steel between floors hence the number of units.
The form factor is a bit funky for live sound use. I may buy an outdoor AC unit for my use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »

+1 on the Airport Express.
I have 4 total and they are rock solid, small and no wall wart. They are even simple to extend range wirelessly if needed.
+1 on Airport Express and a huge -3 for Ubiquity. 

The Airport Express is a nice form factor and very portable.  I've had decent service with Apple's WiFi products.

At work we did a Ubiquiti pilot and out of 9 or so access points, 1 was DOA, 3 make audible ticking noises with data, and the long-term deployment we did after about 9 months started dropping connections about every 90 seconds. Unless you need a multi-AP system I wouldn't even consider Ubiquiti as -reliability issues aside - the setup is significantly more complicated than a standalone product.  Even if you do need a multi-AP system, we've had better luck with Apple gear.

Stan Shields

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »

Even if you do need a multi-AP system, we've had better luck with Apple gear.
[/quote]

Just bought an Airport express off Ebay for $40. I like the form factor and the real power cord...
Good discussion everybody.

John L Nobile

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »

+1 on Airport Express and a huge -3 for Ubiquity. 

The Airport Express is a nice form factor and very portable.  I've had decent service with Apple's WiFi products.

At work we did a Ubiquiti pilot and out of 9 or so access points, 1 was DOA, 3 make audible ticking noises with data, and the long-term deployment we did after about 9 months started dropping connections about every 90 seconds. Unless you need a multi-AP system I wouldn't even consider Ubiquiti as -reliability issues aside - the setup is significantly more complicated than a standalone product.  Even if you do need a multi-AP system, we've had better luck with Apple gear.

I'm curious as to what model AP's you used and how long ago this was. This is the first negative I've heard about Ubiquiti.We're doing a pilot project in 3 small meeting rooms with 3 AP Pro points and an Edge POE router.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 10:59:47 AM »

I'm curious as to what model AP's you used and how long ago this was. This is the first negative I've heard about Ubiquiti.We're doing a pilot project in 3 small meeting rooms with 3 AP Pro points and an Edge POE router.
Equipment was purchased in August and September 2014.  UAP-PRO model. 

There are a number of mentions on the Ubiquiti forum about the audible noise from the APs - that wasn't just us.  The DOA gear could be a one-off, but the hardware seems dodgy generally.  I'm used to Cisco APs that simply work.  Over many years we've had generally decent luck with the various Netgear offerings, and lately have had good luck with Apple, though they don't have an enterprise form factor. 

The reason we initially looked to Ubiquiti was the challenges with devices holding on too long to access points - i.e. if your device connects to the AP near the door you came in and then you walked across the building, even though you were closer to another access point, the device would hang on to the distant AP too long.  Ubiquiti did help with that, however in the last year or two, device drivers on mobile devices and laptops have substantially improved, and we no longer have trouble with this using pretty much any AP platform.

For what it's worth, we are a financial company and our investment guys looked into Ubiquiti, and there are some interesting things related to the financial side of the business.  Maybe it's all above board and we just had a bad batch, but we've been sufficiently burned that we're not going back.  Cisco for the serious stuff, Apple for the portable/multi-AP home stuff for us.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 11:51:28 PM »

There are a number of mentions on the Ubiquiti forum about the audible noise from the APs - that wasn't just us.  The DOA gear could be a one-off, but the hardware seems dodgy generally.  I'm used to Cisco APs that simply work.  Over many years we've had generally decent luck with the various Netgear offerings, and lately have had good luck with Apple, though they don't have an enterprise form factor. 

The reason we initially looked to Ubiquiti was the challenges with devices holding on too long to access points - i.e. if your device connects to the AP near the door you came in and then you walked across the building, even though you were closer to another access point, the device would hang on to the distant AP too long.  Ubiquiti did help with that, however in the last year or two, device drivers on mobile devices and laptops have substantially improved, and we no longer have trouble with this using pretty much any AP platform.

For what it's worth, we are a financial company and our investment guys looked into Ubiquiti, and there are some interesting things related to the financial side of the business.  Maybe it's all above board and we just had a bad batch, but we've been sufficiently burned that we're not going back.  Cisco for the serious stuff, Apple for the portable/multi-AP home stuff for us.

I have two current AP Pros here at home with no issues. I have 6 of them at a client site, again, no issues. I find them trivial to configure and get running. Perhaps a year made a big difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »

I have two current AP Pros here at home with no issues. I have 6 of them at a client site, again, no issues. I find them trivial to configure and get running. Perhaps a year made a big difference?
In our business, I don't understand why people use the AP Pro (or any other indoor-only rated AP). I highly recommend the Ubiquiti UniFi AP Outdoor products. There are plenty of liquid hazards in our business - even indoors.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »

My day gig is with an IT company.  We just finished 3 new construction senior living facilities.  5-8 AP's, the Ubiquiti stuff did us well.

I have an enGenius at home (may have said Ubiquiti in the past but I logged into them last night.  They have been rock solid) 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.