ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Router wi-fi range?  (Read 16099 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Travel Router wi-fi range?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »

It is for me, easier to pack, less things to break.

It sounds more like a personnel handling issue.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Buckley

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »

I have a travel router, a TP Link MR2030, and although it is small and handy, it has significantly less range than any other of my wireless kit.  I wouldn't even consider using it in a venue to get back to the console from the iPad.

Stan Shields

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »

I have a travel router, a TP Link MR2030, and although it is small and handy, it has significantly less range than any other of my wireless kit.  I wouldn't even consider using it in a venue to get back to the console from the iPad.

Thanks David-that's what I was looking for.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 05:14:27 PM »

Is that a benefit? 😉

Not necessarily but the OP mentioned flimsy antennas being one of his dislikes and I hadn't addressed that one thing in my response…..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 11:54:14 PM »

Stan, check out the offerings from Ubiquiti. They're pretty slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 12:09:48 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnGenius Tech also have some appealing models.  I use the ESR1200/900 series (now discontinued) that look like smoke detectors.  I put a salvaged (read:  broken) mic stand clip on one for elevation.  For transportation it lives in the console doghouse.  Flawless performance.

I also use their ENS500EXT 5gHz access points with great success but they have external antennae.  Fairly robust (outdoor rated product) but I'd still not just toss one in a work box or cable trunk and expect it to have a long life.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:46:10 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »

It is for me, easier to pack, less things to break.

I guess. There's always a trade off between ease of use and maximum performance. Wi-fi is a crappy medium for mission critical performance so I lean towards performance. Of course a lot of this will depend on your particular venue conditions. I also like to run in 5GHz only for less interference from the cell phones in the audiences pockets and with the Apple unit you can't shut off the 2.4GHz
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

David Buckley

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »

I'd go further than that; If you need reliable WiFi, or indeed range, then Ubiquiti are the answer.  They are not the lowest cost, but they do the business.  Plus they are a great company to deal with, and they actually interact with their user base.  If you don't know what you need, hop onto their forums, and you'll find lots of knowledgeable people with real world experience solving your kind of problem.

(And I say they are not the lowest cost, but I'm just marveling at an Edgerouter X sitting here on my desk, which is a three port switch plus three port router in a tiny box that goes fast and has great features for a RRP of under $50, which is pretty damned low.)

Stan Shields

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 10:38:17 AM »

I'd go further than that; If you need reliable WiFi, or indeed range, then Ubiquiti are the answer. 

Ubiquiti looks like good stuff. It seems that range is never spec'd with wi-fi products, usually just the data rate/throughput. Operating range is just as important, maybe more so, than speed for many users. Of course the client devices come into the equation as well since it's two-way so maybe most wi-fi routers/APs are created equal in terms of transmitter power? The latest high-end routers seem to have some "steering" ability now...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »

I'd go further than that; If you need reliable WiFi, or indeed range, then Ubiquiti are the answer.  They are not the lowest cost, but they do the business.  Plus they are a great company to deal with, and they actually interact with their user base.  If you don't know what you need, hop onto their forums, and you'll find lots of knowledgeable people with real world experience solving your kind of problem.

(And I say they are not the lowest cost, but I'm just marveling at an Edgerouter X sitting here on my desk, which is a three port switch plus three port router in a tiny box that goes fast and has great features for a RRP of under $50, which is pretty damned low.)
Two thumbs up for Ubiquiti. I routinely use their cheapest AirRouter successfully for smaller gigs, while the UniFi APs come out for the larger shows. All have worked perfectly, but I know a thing or two about proper deployment. Their outdoor rated UniFi APs can be had in 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but you have to choose which band you want. The added bonus is that they mount nicely to poles (in other words, whatever stand you have laying around).
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.