Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

Travel Router wi-fi range?

(1/9) > >>

Stan Shields:
Anybody have any experience using one of those small travel routers? Just running a Soundcraft mixer with an iPad.
Any thoughts on if the range would be comparable to a typical home/office style router?
Does the communication between an iPad and a mixer (no other devices) require much throughput? or is it a low-bandwidth application?
Stan

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: Stan Shields on October 08, 2015, 06:12:30 pm ---Anybody have any experience using one of those small travel routers? Just running a Soundcraft mixer with an iPad.
Any thoughts on if the range would be comparable to a typical home/office style router?
Does the communication between an iPad and a mixer (no other devices) require much throughput? or is it a low-bandwidth application?
Stan

--- End quote ---

You are asking if some unknown device will perform better than some other unknown device? Really?

My thoughts are that you should state specific brand and model.

How do you plan to use it?

What do you need? What are your constraints? Size, price, power draw? Come on, ask a question someone can answer.

Yes, I am grumpy today 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Debbie Dunkley:

--- Quote from: Stan Shields on October 08, 2015, 06:12:30 pm ---Anybody have any experience using one of those small travel routers? Just running a Soundcraft mixer with an iPad.
Stan

--- End quote ---
A typical home/office style router is very portable - I take my cisco E2500 with me as a spare to my Airport Express. I can almost put it in my pocket and the Airport Express will DEFINITELY fit in my pocket. So why would you need a travel style router when they are so small anyway???

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on October 08, 2015, 08:00:55 pm ---A typical home/office style router is very portable - I take my cisco E2500 with me as a spare to my Airport Express. I can almost put it in my pocket and the Airport Express will DEFINITELY fit in my pocket. So why would you need a travel style router when they are so small anyway???

--- End quote ---
The Airport Express is what I use.
Compact and works in 2.4 qnd 5 gig bands.

Stan Shields:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on October 08, 2015, 08:00:55 pm ---A typical home/office style router is very portable - I take my cisco E2500 with me as a spare to my Airport Express. I can almost put it in my pocket and the Airport Express will DEFINITELY fit in my pocket. So why would you need a travel style router when they are so small anyway???

--- End quote ---

Right, it sounds trivial but I'm always looking for smaller, lighter, simpler. The Netgear I use now has a wall wart with a cheesy cable, flimsy antennas, etc. The travel routers look appealing because they plug in without a wall wart and are small and solid, take up less space. Just not sure if they would work as well as a "real" router. For what they cost I guess I could take one for a spin and report back...
Stan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version